The Drake School of Journalism and Mass Communication is looking for a student or students who have a passion for podcasting to develop a podcast documenting your life as an SJMC student during the 2017-18 school year. Interested? Contact multimedia professor Chris Snider at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Saga Communications’ Des Moines Radio Group is hiring for seasonal promotions and marketing part-time staff positions for the Summer of 2017. This seasonal position will run from May 2017 through August 2017 with the possibility to stay on long term based on performance over the summer. If you are a motivated individual who is looking to extend your education and experience in radio broadcasting or the world of marketing and promotions and have a desire to get your foot in the door at Des Moines’ highest-rated group of stations, then you would make a great member of the Des Moines Radio Group Promotions team!
The Des Moines Radio Group Part-Time Promotions Staff will ultimately understand our stations and gain the skills to implement their goals. Through education, preparation and respect, we will offer the most sought after broadcast experience in Iowa. You will get the chance to attend station events, concerts, and private VIP listener parties. Plus, you will have the opportunity to interact and network with department heads, on-air staff, and industry insiders, all excited to help you advance your broadcast career! You will interact with the nearly 300,000 listeners of Des Moines Radio Group’s 9 stations on a daily basis. By executing marketing campaigns and on-the-street promotions for clients and various charity organizations, you will become a vital asset to our success! It is hard work – but very rewarding.
Requirements for the Job:
Be able to work up to 26 hours but no less than 10 hours a week
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to think outside the box
- Computer skills both Microsoft Office and Office 365 (required) and Adobe (preferred)
- Reliable transportation & a valid drivers license
- Available to work nights and weekends
- Lift up to 50lbs
- Ability to work in a fast paces environment
Preferred but not required skills:
- The ability to shoot and edit Video
- The ability to shoot and edit Photos
- Knowledge of Graphic Design programs
- Basic Event Planning skills
- Knowledge of broadcast radio equipment and programs is preferred but not necessary
To Apply. If you are excited to learn, become a part of the big picture, and – most importantly – have fun, apply now! Send your resume, cover letter, and recommendations no later than March 17, 2017 to:
Rob Lembke Promotions Director 1416 Locust Street Des Moines, IA 50309
No phone calls please. The Des Moines Radio Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Drake University’s Office of Community Engagement and Service-Learning seeks to hire a student for the Spring 2017 semester to serve as the student coordinator for a daily reading program with IRIS (Iowa Radio Reading Information Service).
This Service-Learning Ambassador position is an excellent opportunity for anyone who is passionate about increasing access to information for Iowans who cannot read the printed word because of blindness, visual, or physical impairment or learning difference. Currently, Drake students volunteer to read The Daily Nonpareil, the Council Bluffs newspaper, which is broadcast as an hour in IRIS’s 24/7 programming, daily meditations, seasonal readings, and the potential for other opportunities for reading. The student would work 6-7 hours per week coordinating the schedule of student volunteers and deepening integration of the partnership between Drake University and IRIS.
If interested in applying, please send a cover letter of 500 words or less stating your interest in the position and resume to Amanda Martin at email@example.com by December 9.
Each applicant must list on their resume one reference, either a faculty, staff, or community partner who can speak to your organization/management, teamwork and professional skills. Pay is $8.25/hr.
- Self-motivated, dedicated
- Journalism major
- Experience with recording a story for IRIS
- Previous service opportunities and/or community engagement work
- Current first-year, sophomore, or junior standing
- Coordinate the schedule of student recordings, working with faculty in the SJMC’s Beginning Reporting and Writing class
- Train student volunteers and providing technical assistance assistance to students
- Serve as a liaison between Drake University and IRIS
- Design and connect Drake students to additional volunteer opportunities with IRIS
- Organize events on-campus to increase awareness
- Identify audio description projects
- Participate in fundraising and event planning for IRIS
- Coordinate publicity measures with SLA graphic design intern
- Hold 2 professional office hours a week in the Office of Community Engaged Learning (hours will be scheduled between 8am-4:30pm)
- Attend bi-weekly staff meetings
- Participate in professional development with the Office of Community Engagement and Service-Learning
- Support other Service Learning Ambassador’s events and initiatives
St. Louis Public Radio is looking for an editor to work with a team of reporters. No previous radio experience is required, but at least five years of reporting or editing experience. To apply: http://www.stlpublicradio.org/info/jobdetail.php?jobid=111