Drake University’s Office of Community Engagement and Service-Learning seeks to hire a student for the Spring 2017 semester to serve as the student coordinator for a daily reading program with IRIS (Iowa Radio Reading Information Service).
This Service-Learning Ambassador position is an excellent opportunity for anyone who is passionate about increasing access to information for Iowans who cannot read the printed word because of blindness, visual, or physical impairment or learning difference. Currently, Drake students volunteer to read The Daily Nonpareil, the Council Bluffs newspaper, which is broadcast as an hour in IRIS’s 24/7 programming, daily meditations, seasonal readings, and the potential for other opportunities for reading. The student would work 6-7 hours per week coordinating the schedule of student volunteers and deepening integration of the partnership between Drake University and IRIS.
If interested in applying, please send a cover letter of 500 words or less stating your interest in the position and resume to Amanda Martin at email@example.com by December 9.
Each applicant must list on their resume one reference, either a faculty, staff, or community partner who can speak to your organization/management, teamwork and professional skills. Pay is $8.25/hr.
- Self-motivated, dedicated
- Journalism major
- Experience with recording a story for IRIS
- Previous service opportunities and/or community engagement work
- Current first-year, sophomore, or junior standing
- Coordinate the schedule of student recordings, working with faculty in the SJMC’s Beginning Reporting and Writing class
- Train student volunteers and providing technical assistance assistance to students
- Serve as a liaison between Drake University and IRIS
- Design and connect Drake students to additional volunteer opportunities with IRIS
- Organize events on-campus to increase awareness
- Identify audio description projects
- Participate in fundraising and event planning for IRIS
- Coordinate publicity measures with SLA graphic design intern
- Hold 2 professional office hours a week in the Office of Community Engaged Learning (hours will be scheduled between 8am-4:30pm)
- Attend bi-weekly staff meetings
- Participate in professional development with the Office of Community Engagement and Service-Learning
- Support other Service Learning Ambassador’s events and initiatives