Pearson has one defining goal: to help people progress in their lives through learning. We champion innovation and we invest in models for education that deliver on our promise for effective, accessible, and personal learning from early literacy, college and career readiness to professional education, through data informed instruction and inventive applications for mobile and digital learning.
Pearson, the world’s leading learning company, has global-reach and market leading businesses in education, business, and consumer publishing and is listed on the London and New York stock exchanges (UK: PSON; NYSE: PSO). For more information, visit http://www.pearson.com.
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Department Overview The Research & Innovation Network plays an important role for Pearson by being a public face that plans, projects, innovates, communicates, connects, and delivers solutions. Three activities have and will continue to establish Pearson as a thought leader in education:
- Create – we have created capabilities, innovations, and solutions that are respected by the broader education audience.
- Connect – we collaborate with respected experts and leaders.
- Communicate – we publish, present, blog, tweet, consult, train, and broadly share the results of our research with all audiences.
The goal of the Network is to help address the challenges in education to move the needle in student success. We focus on global K12 education issues, but the challenges touch all level of learners. The goals of the communications team include:
- Drive pan-Pearson, K12 thought leadership through outreach about the Network’s research projects and results.
- Raise researchers’ profiles through conference presentations, social media, and traditional media.
- Implement web and social media strategy that engages audiences in debate about challenges in education.
Learn more at ResearchNetwork.Pearson.com
Intern Responsibilities The intern will support the image and communications efforts of the Network. This will include writing for various media (web, social media, business documents), working independently on research/business intelligence projects, and supporting the execution of strategic communications. Three skills the intern will learn from our Network include:
- Gain strategic communication planning and implementation experience
- Build a portfolio of persuasive writing pieces
- Hone project management skills
Activities include the following:
- Research and planning for communications campaigns: assist in planning strategies and channels necessary to achieve defined goals based on their own research efforts.
- Persuasive writing: write web, blog, and marketing material copy. Help translate research and findings into meaningful copy for the identified audience.
- Social media: Coordinate with stakeholders across Pearson to implement a corporate social media strategy.
- Business intelligence: perform research on competitor landscape, attitude on key issues, and audience characteristics. Understand key education issues and important players, and then communicate findings to inform strategy.
Must be a current college student within commuting distance of Iowa City, Iowa, during the 2015-2016 academic year.
- Strong persuasive writing skills
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
- Business acumen and judgment
- Planning, prioritization, project management skills
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Experience with developing and implementing social and traditional media campaigns
- Knowledge of social media tools such as Hootsuite, Tweet Deck, Spredfast, and engage121
- Adept at using Microsoft Office suite (Word, PowerPoint and Excel)
- Experience with graphic design or web programs (e.g., Adobe Creative Suite and WordPress) is helpful
A cover letter and three writing samples are required.
Job ID: 2015-33181
# of Positions: 1
Position Type: Temporary Part Time
Category: Project/Temporary Workforce
To apply, click here: http://pearson.jobs/iowa-city-ia/communications-intern-iowa-city/821B3C4D5360498ABBD7D1837C909574/job/#