TITLE: Operations Assistant
SUMMARY: The Operations Assistant will ensure continuous delivery of Iowa Radio Reading Information Service for the Blind and Print Handicapped (IRIS) programming, maintain IRIS’s warm and welcoming culture, support daily administrative functions and promote awareness for IRIS.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Ensure continuous delivery of IRIS programming by:
- Monitoring the IRIS signal in all forms – broadcast, internet and DTV.
- Preparing reading materials and studios for volunteer readers.
- Reading On-Air and recording content as needed.
- Managing and distributing On-Air announcements.
- Monitoring equipment to ensure optimal sound quality, balance and volume.
- Editing programs to exact time and optimal sound quality and volume.
- Uploading completed programs for broadcast and podcast pages.
- Updating automation schedule as needed.
- Downloading programs from approved sources and preparing them for air.
- Identifying, reporting and troubleshooting issues with IRIS broadcast and internet signals.
- Preparing receivers for proper distribution thru delivery, post office or other means.
- Processing receiver returns and managing the receiver inventory.
- Maintaining a current and accurate database of listeners and all relevant information.
- Testing and/or setting up Audio Description at venues as requested.
40% Volunteer Management:
Maintain IRIS’s warm and welcoming culture by:
- Recruiting, training, welcoming and supporting new and current volunteers.
- Managing regular communications about scheduling and openings with volunteer teams.
- Communicating volunteer shift vacancies as far in advance as possible.
- Responding promptly to volunteer communications and inquiries.
- Maintaining live and recording calendars – both online and physical.
- Keeping the volunteer database, photo database and mailing lists current and accurate.
- Providing support needed by volunteers while they are reading or producing programs.
- Sharing volunteer issues and concerns with the Executive Director.
- Preparing scripts and equipment for Audio Description performances.
Support daily administrative functions by:
- Greeting and directing office visitors and volunteers.
- Monitoring and responding to email and telephone communications.
- Ensuring the database is up-to-date and accurate.
- Monitoring office supply and software inventories.
- Preparing orders as needed.
- Gathering data and compiling reports.
- Attending IRIS board meetings and events as requested.
- Keeping the IRIS office and studios in clean and presentable form by vacuuming, dusting, sanitizing equipment, furniture and fixtures.
Promote awareness for the Iowa Radio Reading Information Service by:
- Updating Social Media as requested.
- Assisting with mailings, outreach materials and IRIS events as requested.
- Assisting with fundraising requests and reports as requested.
- Presenting information about IRIS services to community groups as requested.
- Executing other duties and special projects as assigned.
Employee is exposed to normal broadcasting and office conditions. Noise level is moderate.
Classification: Full time.
FLSA Status: Nonexempt (Hourly).
Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 3:30pm (35 hours per week). Available as On Call every other weekend.
SKILLS AND APTITUDES:
- Reliable transportation to and from office, events and meetings.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google, online calendars and other internet products.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with adherence to deadlines.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with a wide range of people and personalities.
- Pleasant reading voice.
- Knowledge of current events.
- At least one year office administrative support experience.
- Broadcast, communications or journalism experience.
- Non-profit organization experience.
Commensurate with experience plus an attractive benefits package.
Position will be filled as soon as a qualified candidate is identified. Interested applicants should submit their cover letter, resume, salary requirements and contact information for three professional references to Maryfrances Evans, subject “Operations Assistant”, at Maryfrances@IowaRadioReading.org. before 5 p.m. Dec. 14.
IRIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Employer will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the Employer.