Vote Smart, a nonpartisan nonprofit organization near campus, is accepting and interviewing applicants for its Spring Internship Program. Opportunities are available in both the Research and Communications departments. Internships are unpaid, but there are opportunities for interns to learn the day-to-day duties that each staff member performs, as well as credit opportunities through Drake. You’ll get to work closely with staff and other interns on a range of projects. To apply go to http://votesmart.org/internships. Contact Professor Jennifer Glover Konfrst (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information on doing the internship for credit.
Happy Medium, a Des Moines full-service marketing agency, is searching for a director of connection strategy with leadership skills and expertise in digital marketing and social media. See https://itsahappymedium.com/careers/director-connection-strategy/ for the job description and how to apply.
The NBCUniversal/LNESC Scholarship Program is intended to assist and encourage outstanding Latino students with an interest in the media and entertainment industry pursue a bachelor’s degree at a U. S. post-secondary institution. The NBCUniversal/LNESC Scholarship Program is sponsored by NBCUniversal and administered by the LULAC National Educational Service Centers (LNESC).
The NBCUniversal/LNESC Scholarship Program will award 10 $5,000 national scholarships to qualified sophomores and juniors. Applicants must be enrolled full-time in an accredited college or university; at least 18 years of age or older; have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale; be a U. S. Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident; and have an interest in the media and entertainment industry; all majors are welcome.
Applicants must submit the following by the deadline of Nov. 6, 2017:
- Completed online application, including submission of the following:
- College transcript with proof of cumulative grade point average
- Three letters of recommendation, including a complete telephone number and email address for each reference
For more information, please click here.
TopRank Marketing in Minneapolis has seven open positions:
- Content Marketing Manager
- Social Media Marketing & Influencer Relations Specialist
- Digital Advertising Manager
- Account Manager
- Digital Marketing Analyst
- SEO Strategist
- Graphic Designer
See https://www.toprankmarketing.com/careers/ for more information about the agency.
Investigative Reporters and Editors (IRE) is hosting a workshop in Des Moines on Saturday, Sept. 30 and Sunday, Oct. 1. Sessions cover such topics as computer-assisted reporting, social media and using public records. For more information and to register, see https://ire.org/events-and-training/event/3444/.
Drake University’s Office of Community Engaged Learning is hiring an Undergraduate Assistant (UGA) for the 2017-2018 academic year to help measure the impact of community engagement partnerships.
The UGA will work under the supervision of the Director of Community Engaged Learning to enhance tools and processes for tracking community engagement and specific community partnerships across the institution. The UGA will help develop methods to collect and store community partner data, and then analyze the data and provide recommendations for ways to best utilize the data. The efforts of the UGA will enable Drake to map the depth and breadth of our many community partnerships so we can enhance communication and collaboration across colleges and begin to measure our collective impact. The person in this position will gain or enhance knowledge in community engagement, service-learning, community relations, and skills in research, assessment, and data analytics.
The student in this position will work 5-7 hours per week. Pay is $9.00/hr.
If interested in applying, please send a cover letter of 500 words or less stating your interest in the position and resume to Amanda Martin, Amanda.email@example.com by midnight Sept 24, 2017.
Each applicant must list on their resume one reference, either a faculty, staff, or community partner who can speak to your organization/management, teamwork and professional skills.
Interviews will take place the week of Sept. 25.
- Knowledge of data analytics
- Sophomore, junior or senior (preference will be given to juniors and seniors)
UGA Data Analytics Specific
- Using criteria from the Continuous Improvement Plan’s Community Engagement Score, develop a matrix of institutional community partners and identify the criteria each partner meets
- Utilize Microsoft Excel 3D Mapping tool and/or other geographic information systems (GIS) to develop geographical maps that demonstrate the network of community engagement efforts at Drake
- Develop a report on the breadth and depth (i.e. issue areas served, number of Drake connections, types of service performed) of community partnerships, identify areas of duplication and opportunities for collaboration
- Develop a process for annually collecting department, course-level and student organization community partnership information
- Communicate with various colleges and faculty to identify faculty/community partnerships
- Communicate with various student organizations to identify community partnerships
- Reach out to community partners to collect data on number of Drake students who served at their organization, and types of projects and work completed
The Pew Research Center in Washington, D.C., offers a range of internships and full-time jobs in journalism, research, web development and data. See the link below for more information: