Volunteer Iowa (Iowa Commission on Volunteer Service) is looking for an energetic, independent volunteer to develop written profiles of Certified Service Enterprise organizations to spotlight nonprofit and government organizations that excel in engaging volunteers. This opportunity is great for experienced professionals or students who want to lend their time and talent to a worthwhile cause. Volunteers interns with the following backgrounds are ideal for the position: Communications, public relations, journalism, or English.
The Writer will work closely with staff to research, write, and develop profiles of organizations that have participated in the Service Enterprise Initiative. A “Service Enterprise” is an organization that fundamentally leverages volunteers and their skills to achieve its social mission. The Service Enterprise Initiative is an intensive assessment, training, and coaching process to help organizations achieve that level of operation. Content will be used for developing a guide of certified organizations and opportunities to volunteer with them, blog posts featuring the impact of these organizations and their volunteers, and earned media stories highlighting examples of skills based volunteer projects. The volunteer will work independently and schedule regular meetings with staff to debrief on progress, discuss next steps and get feedback.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Interview staff and/or volunteers of organizations participating in Service Enterprise
- Develop profiles and case studies of organizations, showcasing innovative practices
- Create blog posts and earned media content highlighting stories of volunteers and their impact
- Make recommendations for future stories and outlets
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Possess engaging writing skills with a professional posture. The successful candidate must be computer and Internet savvy, with considerable experience in interviewing, writing, and storytelling.
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials
- Ability to write simply with both expository and narrative styles
- Ability to effectively manage time and multi-task
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to define and work to deadlines
- Understand mission of Volunteer Iowa
- Assist in identifying opportunities based on new developments in this field
- Present professional, but friendly posture with colleagues
- Maintain high ethics with communications and daily work tasks
Length of commitment: Negotiable- Both semester and multi-semester opportunities available
Estimated total hours: Negotiable
At discretion of volunteer
WORKSITE: This is a volunteer opportunity, to be completed using the volunteer’s own technology equipment and/or software, phone, and Internet connection. During regular business hours, the Volunteer Iowa office, computers and phones may be available.
BENEFITS OF WORKING WITH US:
- Opportunity to support the efforts of Volunteer Iowa
- Passionate staff and volunteers
- Small, 20-year-old organization: flexibility, adaptability and the possibility to learn about state government operations, volunteer management and national service.
- Record of volunteer service for related work and school purposes
- Ability to participate in agency training and/or advancement activities
- Acknowledgement of contributions on website; letters of recommendation, etc.
VOLUNTEER IOWA AGREES TO:
- Provide the volunteer with a copy of the volunteer policies
- Provide position description and agreement
- Provide orientation, learning opportunities and resources to prepare volunteer for service
- Provide login and editing access for technology systems as needed
- Provide ongoing support, guidance, feedback and performance evaluation
- Give recognition for contributions to Volunteer Iowa and State of Iowa
VOLUNTEER AGREES TO:
- Provide information to update application and contact information as changes occur
- Participate in orientations, position-related courses and learning opportunities
- Meet with appropriate groups/teams/volunteers as agreed for ongoing support and evaluation
- Devote sufficient time and energy to fulfill the outlined position requirements
- Support the mission and values, as well as the commission’s activities and goals
- Comply with the policies, safety guidelines and procedures
- Acknowledge that the position is an unpaid, volunteer position offered through Volunteer Iowa, volunteeriowa.org
About Volunteer Iowa (or Iowa Commission on Volunteer Service)
Volunteer Iowa and its partner agencies work with organizations and individuals on three main fronts. The first is to help agencies develop quality programs that use service as a strategy to fulfill their missions and address Iowa’s greatest areas of need. The second is to help engage Iowans in their communities by promoting service and expanding the volunteer base. Finally, the third area of work is to connect individuals with appropriate service opportunities by building the volunteer infrastructure. More information is available at volunteeriowa.org.
If you have questions about this position description, or Volunteer Iowa, contact…
Michelle Raymer, Program Officer; 515.348.6235 or email@example.com