This internship is primarily focused on the website for the school district, but would also be beneficial to Project Management, Marketing or other Communications majors.
Contact: Michelle Siefkas, Webmaster, 515-289-3951.
To Apply: email resume, website samples, & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by the date listed below.
Selection Process: Interview with Communications Director and the Webmaster. Send resume and a minimum of three reasons this internship sounds interesting to you.
Time Period: Summer Internship: June-August. Apply by May 4th.
Hours: Can be flexibly scheduled Monday-Friday between 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. to accommodate the student’s class schedule. 400-hour goal will accommodate most university internship requirements.
Location: Ankeny Community Schools District Office, 306 SW School Street, Ankeny, IA 50023
Compensation: Unpaid, but will structure internship to meet course credit requirements.
Responsibilities: Under supervision of the Webmaster, and dependent upon demonstrated skill in various areas, the intern will:
Create layouts for best user experience:
- New web pages (and editing of existing pages).
- Restructure content on web pages.
- Troubleshooting errors/bugs.
- User experience.
- Other non-recurring communications.
- Posting web pages and news stories.
- Monitoring website for functionality.
- Organize content of district website.
- Formatting and creating documents and data in google drive.
- Develop public messages needed for sustained positive public relations. This may include
- news releases, web page content, social media, special events, etc.
- Update informational materials on the district, which may include social media, web pages, photos, and other items.
- Research of new web tools and development of social media to integrate with the district website
- Other duties as assigned (may include filing, researching, and clerical tasks)
Requirements: Strong technical skills. Preferably a student with a major or minor in computer science, marketing, or some other form of web development. Strong grammar and proofreading skills. Strong research skills.
Preferred Skills: Experience with Google Drive, Adobe Creative Suite. Experience with website navigation/design or user experience. Experience with social media such as Facebook, Twitter, HootSuite, and other programs. Photography or videography experience.