Proposal for Services Needed
Project is for:
Southern District of Iowa Branch, The Historical Society of the United States Courts in the Eighth Circuit
Project contact: Margaret Callahan, email@example.com
The project is to take text and photographs and combine them into a nonfiction book to be published through the online publisher CreateSpace. The Society desires to have print copies of the book available at the time of a professional conference being held in early August 2018. The Society desires to make the book available also as an e-book and is aware generally that that requires different formatting. The e-book formatting may or may not be considered part of the immediate project, as appropriate.
The book is on local court history and will be designated as a “second edition” of a book put out about 25 years ago.
Project Specifics (as currently known)
We will provide the text in Word format (in standard page size, unless that is an issue). No editing of text is involved in the project. Tasks needed would include —
- formatting the text for our chosen page size
- choosing an appropriate type style and size
- developing an appropriate style for chapter headings, including type size and style
- working with photos so they print well, and sizing and helping decide where they should be inserted
- inserting headers and page numbers
- working with the table of contents
- setting up the title page and other initial pages to include appropriate information
- designing (or at least laying out) and formatting, the cover from photos we provide
- meeting CreateSpace formatting requirements
- identifying additional issues to make the book conform to a reasonably professional standard
The book size is to be 6 inches by 9 inches. As a rough estimate, the book will have about 600 pages (if it reaches 700 pages, we will cut the text some, because that seems to affect CreateSpace margin requirements).
We would like the book to have chapter-specific page headers on the right-hand pages (book title headers on the left). The book will be divided into around 60 sections which might need separate headers.
The book will include around 30 lists of names and dates that may (or may not) need special formatting to appear correctly in the final version.
We want the book to have justified type. Also, the text will include some features such as indented block quotes, italic titles of case and book names, and section symbols in citations to legal documents. The book will not have footnotes as such but will have collections of “reference notes” at the end of some of the sections.
The book will include around 37 portrait-style photos and around 9 additional photos. Only about half of these are currently in electronic format. Some of the photos may be available only from the print, pdf or Word version of the original book; we might or might not find prints of these photos in old files.
The main focus is the desired completion date stated in the project overview.
A tentative timetable would be:
- Friday, July 6 – submission of book and cover files to CreateSpace
- Friday, July 6 to Thursday, July 26 – receipt and proofreading of proof copy by Society members and Society project participants; addressing of any technical issues by designer/formatter
- Friday, July 27 – submission of final, approved book and cover files to CreateSpace
It seems that the adequacy of this timetable might depend on the amount of work needed after original submission. We would be open to suggestion whether more — or less – time might be needed in this regard.
We would seek to provide all text by approximately June 20. This is somewhat negotiable; we would try to meet an earlier date if this leaves inadequate time for design/formatting. (We could potentially provide material some material earlier, if receipt in installments would be a help rather than a hindrance.)