Fall internship, unpaid, August – December, 2017
Approximately 15-20 hours per week (flexible) at Des Moines office
To gain insight and experience within a nonprofit social justice organization by assisting the Communications Specialist with ongoing, detail-oriented projects.
Duties and responsibilities
The Communications Intern will assist the Communications Specialist on a number of initiatives, including but not limited to:
• Provide social media support on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest as needed, including gathering news articles, analytics, reports, and information that would be relevant for IowaCASA’s social media platforms.
• Draft and edit materials as needed, including information for the website, statements and press releases, and more.
Internship projects and goals
The Communications Intern will assist the Communications Specialist on the following projects, including but not limited to:
• Develop a #GivingTuesday campaign that meets the goals, objectives, and needs of the coalition.
• Assist in developing a plan to infuse IowaCASA’s social justice mission throughout social media platforms.
• Research and study website analytics to determine how we can improve engagement on http://www.iowacasa.org. This will include an analytics report with specific findings and suggestions.
• Conduct a survey of how member programs and supporters across the state utilize our website, compile data, and report back on findings with suggested list of improvements and changes that should/could be made.
• Excellent writing and communications skills.
• Knowledge and interest in communications, social media, online engagement and reporting, and social justice work.
• A willingness to learn and be creative.
• Have an understanding of issues surrounding social justice and sexual violence work.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team to achieve short-term and long-term goals.
• Ability to multi-task, take direction, follow through on projects, meet deadlines, and provide inspired input.
Send letter of interest, resume, and writing sample to Matty Smith at email@example.com. Internship position will be open until filled by qualified applicant. Email inquiries only please. Writing sample can be anything that showcases your talents as a writer and a communicator.
The Iowa Coalition Against Sexual Assault (IowaCASA) works to unite people and organizations to promote a society free from sexual violence and to meet the diverse needs of survivors. IowaCASA is a progressive organization, and works towards goals that will improve the well-being of survivors in many aspects of their lives. We support disenfranchised groups and actively work on anti-racist initiatives. IowaCASA is a small, statewide non-profit organization that provides a friendly, fast-paced work environment.
IowaCASA’s continuing success depends upon the qualifications of the individuals the agency employs. IowaCASA is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with state and federal law or local ordinance, the agency will ensure that the following personnel matters will be administered without regard to age, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, or disability.
Iowa Coalition Against Sexual Assault (IowaCASA)
3030 Merle Hay Road | Des Moines, Iowa 50310