Start Date: Fall 2017
Selection Criteria: One Sophomore or Junior
Time Commitment: 20 Hours per month based on flexible hours
Pay: $10 per hour
Learning Objectives / Goals:
The President’s Office of Drake University seeks a highly motivated Sophomore or Junior dedicated to combining their academic development with the success of the University. This position creates an opportunity for students to sharpen their professional and interpersonal skills and helps build relationships between administration and students.
Participants will further develop leadership and project management skills and apply undergraduate experiences to help achieve university and departmental goals.
The President’s Office intern is expected to conduct her/himself with the highest levels of professionalism and help serve as representatives of the university. Due to the nature of the position, interns are expected to wear business casual attire for all meetings.
Through this internship, students will:
- Learn about higher education administration (Application of academic knowledge)
- Develop and enhance leadership and project management skills (Skill development)
- Work with senior leaders at the university on projects (Skill development)
- Gain an understanding of the requirements of serving as a senior leader in an institution of higher education (Professional insights)
- Develop a deeper understanding of Drake University and higher education (Professional insights)
- Enhance personal and professional skills and expand professional networks (Personal Development)
The President’s Office Intern will primarily support project-based work and ‘shadow’ the President on specific meetings and events. Minimal to no clerical work is expected.
Project-based work will be driven from the Chief of Staff on an ‘as needed’ basis. As project needs arise, the Chief of Staff will contact the intern to determine duties related to these projects.
Additionally, at the beginning of each month, the intern will meet with the Assistant to the President to review meetings on the President’s schedule. The intern will then ‘shadow’ the President at applicable meetings or events. The time at these meetings will largely be to observe.
The President’s Office Intern is expected to serve a one-year term with the possibility of it being renewed for a second year.
Applicants should apply to the president’s assistant, Cheryle Anania, by September 1, 2017 at email@example.com.