Mother Jones is looking for an all-star digital-media fellow to keep us current on social platforms, and enhance our multimedia coverage of breaking news—especially with snappy, smart video. This fellow will work closely with Mother Jones‘ digital news team in our New York City office. You’ll learn about every aspect of modern online publishing, collaborating with seasoned editors and reporters. You’ll also attend regular skill-building sessions covering topics that span the operations of a media organization.
- Video editing experience, including familiarity with the Adobe Creative Cloud suite, (especially Premiere)
- Evidence of hands-on production, including writing for video and shooting in the field
- Stellar writing ability, as demonstrated by published work
- Comfort with content management systems
- A zeal for online news and media
- A working knowledge of HTML and experience with Photoshop
- Endless enthusiasm for digital storytelling languages like memes, GIFS, and Vines.
- Deep familiarity with social media
- Previous reporting experience a strong plus
Ideal candidates will have experience working in a fast-paced digital newsroom. We’ll want you to bring some skills to the table: Maybe you’ve got experience as a quick-hit blogger, you’ve worked in social media, or you’ve more-than-dipped your toes in video-editing software. This fellow will work in the New York City office.
- A cover letter and résumé, including the names and numbers of two references
- Two videos you have worked on, describing what role you played in their production (i.e. editor, shooter, producer etc.)
- Two writing samples (links to online versions preferred)
Please send these materials by end of business, Friday, June 2, 2017, to firstname.lastname@example.org.