Community Research Summer Scholar Program seeks student audio storytelling paid intern for late summer workshop with immigrant and refugee young adults on Drake’s campus
Apply by Monday, April 24 at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CRSSP seeks Drake student to provide instruction, mentoring, and support to scholars participating in an audio storytelling workshop held between July 24 and August 11 2017 at Drake University. At the workshop, a group of young adult scholars age 16-20 from immigrant and refugee communities in Des Moines will work with three Drake faculty to create audio storytelling podcasts about immigrants and refugees in the city.
Responsibilities of the audio tutoring specialist will include:
- Provide instruction on recording, editing, and crafting audio stories in podcast format
- Helping high school students feel more confident with Audacity software
- Providing feedback about audio quality and story telling in listening sessions, both group and one-on-one.
- Accompany team members as needed to field sites to record natural sound.
- Meeting with faculty facilitators to ensure progress throughout the workshop.
- Finalizing podcasts for rollout.
- Availability 8-5 weekdays July 24-August 11, a few additional hours in late August.
Wage is $9 per hour.
Audio tutoring desired characteristics
- Interest in and knowledge of immigrant and refugee issues.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Ability to take initiative to teach Audacity and other audio journalism skills
- Empathy and ability to work with students holding different levels of English language fluency.
- Comfort working in new situations and to work independently
- Excellent ability to provide and receive feedback
- Willingness to become knowledgeable of the workshop goals and objectives.
- Ability to arrive on time and stay until the end
- Confident enough to ask clarifying questions to ensure a successful creation of audiopodcasts
- Takes initiative, works collaboratively and independently
If interested, please send letter of interest and resume to email@example.com.
Questions? Write to Darcie.firstname.lastname@example.org (Howard Hall 130)