The Healthiest State Initiative, a 501c3 nonprofit organization supporting statewide efforts to make Iowa the healthiest state in the nation, has two internship opportunities. Full descriptions and application information is on our site. The marketing/PR position is also posted below.
Marketing & Public Relations Internship – This position will support the growing needs to promote and market efforts of the organization, events and programs.
- Research, write and edit communications materials including Inspiring Iowans blog, website pages, Momentum monthly e-newsletter, and press releases
- Monitor media coverage and create weekly news alerts
- Participate in planning, developing and promoting Healthiest State events Fitness on the Hill at the Iowa State Fair and Annual Walk
- Support the Executive Director in media outreach opportunities
- Provide basic graphic design support
- Research, write and edit social media messages
- Report on real time updates from Healthiest State events
- Monitor conversations on Healthiest State’s social media platforms
- Create monthly social media reports
The intern will gain practical experience in a nonprofit setting and be asked to apply communication skills and business acumen throughout the internship.
- Organized: Being able to balance many projects and event details
- Accountability: Owning and taking responsibility for one’s actions
- Business Acumen: Understanding industry, market, financial and company specific operations
- Collaboration and Communication: Working together; listen to other’s ideas; communicate accurately and concisely
- Decision Making: Consider all facts and impacts when making decisions
- Focus on the Customer: Consistently doing what is in the best interest of our customer. Leaving a positive impression on the customer by elevating their experience; making it simpler and educating to helping them understand.
Hiring Specifications Required:
- Completed at least two years of coursework in marketing, advertising, public relations, journalism or related field.
- Demonstrated computer skills with Microsoft office products; and Adobe InDesign or other Adobe products
- Knowledge of AP writing style
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to think creatively
- Ability to collaboratively with other team members
- Must be able to travel with some evenings and/or weekend work
Dates of Internship:
The position will require a commitment of at least 20 hours per week for a total of 10 weeks. Weekly hours are negotiable and arrangements can be made for course credit.
If interested in joining the Healthiest State, send a cover letter, resume and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.