Drake University’s Office of Community Engaged Learning is looking to hire a student for the 2017-2018 academic year to serve as the student coordinator for a daily reading program with IRIS (Iowa Radio Reading Information Service).
This Service-Learning Ambassador position is an excellent opportunity for anyone who is passionate about increasing access to information for Iowans who cannot read the printed word because of blindness, visual, or physical impairment or learning difference. Currently, Drake students volunteer to read The Daily Nonpareil, the Council Bluffs newspaper, which is broadcast as an hour in IRIS’s 24/7 programming, daily meditations, seasonal readings, and the potential for other opportunities for reading. The student would work 6-7 hours per week coordinating the schedule of student volunteers and deepening integration of the partnership between Drake University and IRIS.
If interested in applying, please send a cover letter of 500 words or less stating your interest in the position and resume to Amanda Martin at email@example.com by 5 p.m. April 14.
Each applicant must list on their resume one reference, either a faculty, staff, or community partner who can speak to your organization/management, teamwork and professional skills. Pay is $8.25/hr.
- Self-motivated, dedicated
- Willing to work on a flexible schedule based on volunteer and class availability
- Organizational skills in order to schedule and assign volunteers
- Journalism major
- Experience with recording a story for IRIS
- Previous service opportunities and/or community engagement work
- Current first-year, sophomore, or junior standing
- SLA will need to be available for SLA Orientation August 24-26, 2017 (Thursday-Saturday)
- Present to Journalism school classes and potentially other groups about IRIS
- Coordinate the schedule of student recordings
- Train student volunteers and provide technical assistance to students
- Lead reflection activities for student participants
- Serve as a liaison between Drake University and IRIS
- Design and connect Drake students to additional volunteer opportunities with IRIS
- Identify audio description projects
- Participate in fundraising and event planning for IRIS
- Track quantifiables including number of students participating, number of hours read, etc.
- Coordinate publicity measures with SLA graphic design intern
- Work a total of 6-7 hours a week, minimum of 2 professional office hours held in the Community Engaged Learning Office (hours will be scheduled between 8am-4:30pm M-F)
- Attend bi-weekly staff meetings
- Participate in ongoing training and professional development with the Office of Community Engaged Learning
- Support other Service Learning Ambassador’s events and initiatives
- Lead service-learning trainings and reflection activities for classes and student organizations
- Represent the Community Engaged Learning Office at various recruitment events