The Denison Bulletin & Review is looking for a full-time reporter for our twice-weekly newspaper. We also publish several special projects each month, as well as our monthly agriculture publication, Iowa Farm & Ranch.
The reporter will also examine significant news items to develop ideas for features, as well as evaluating leads and tips in developing story ideas. Our newspaper encourages reporters to come up with compelling and interesting ideas to cover the communities in our county. This reporter will be assigned and pull stories from:
- County Board of Supervisors meetings each week
- Public boards and town councils
- Courthouse and law enforcement developments
- Chamber of Commerce and Tourism
- Agriculture news
Writing timely, well-sourced, stories for our twice-a-week newspapers will be needed, as well as feature stories for our special projects and Iowa Farm & Ranch.
Photography skills are a bonus, as reporters take their own photographs. A camera is provided by the company.
This reporter will also be responsible for uploading agriculture and other stories to our websites as needed.
Qualifications and Experience
This reporter will be asked to write well on quick deadlines. Other qualifications include:
- Excellent spelling, grammar, and proofreading skills
- Creative, self-starter
- Knowledge of government and agriculture
- Word processing experience necessary
- Knowledge of InDesign and websites is helpful
- Deadline oriented
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year accredited college or equivalent experience
- Some journalism experience is helpful
- Ability to communicate in Spanish is a bonus
About Denison and our company
Denison is a rural community of a little more than 8,000 people in western Iowa. We are a diverse community where one can find Mexican, South American, Asian, and African restaurants and businesses mixed in throughout the town. Minority students comprise around half of all students in Denison. Some notable residents have included Donna Reed, the Academy Award-winning actress who starred in “It’s A Wonderful Life” and most recently Brandon Scherff who plays pro football for the Washington Redskins.
The Denison Bulletin & Review has existed individually and as a group for 150 years. In our current state, we have a small news department of four people, with approximately 20 people working in our building. We publish two newspapers and two shoppers each week, as well as other projects. We are owned by the BH Media Group, Inc. family of publications, the fourth largest newspaper network in the United States, and offers opportunities for advancement across the nation.
For more information on our newspapers’ histories, go to http://www.dbrnews.com/site/about.html
Hours and Benefits
This full-time hourly position has both set and extended hours depending on coverage of events and meetings, as well as publication deadlines. Hourly wage will depend upon experience. Our company offers a wide range of benefits, including:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Long-term disability and care insurance
- Life insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Employee assistance program and tuition reimbursement
- Employee advertising and subscription discounts
- Berkshire Hathaway employee discounts
- Paid time off includes six holidays, a floating holiday, vacation days and sick days
- Opportunities for continuing education through workshops, seminars, and conferences may exist
Submit a cover letter, resume and three non-returnable writing samples to:
Gordon Wolf, Editor
Denison Bulletin & Review
PO Box 550
Denison, Iowa 51442
Or, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants will be reviewed as they are submitted. Those interested in the position are encouraged to submit your information as soon as possible. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.