Marketing and Communications Intern (15-20 hours, unpaid)
Iowa International Center is a non-profit organization that exists to build cultural respect at home and around the world, one person at a time. Each year the Iowa International Center works with over 150 international visitors from more than 60 countries. Other programs include interpretation and translation services, international events and dialogues. More information is available at www.iowainternationalcenter.org.
The Iowa International Center is working to increase name recognition and overall community presence to both make our services and resources more well-known in the community, as well as lift our profile in front of potential funders and grant makers. He/she will gain critical business, marketing and administrative experience through assisting IIC in creating and updating marketing materials, strategic content development for web and print communications and much more.
Benefits & Opportunities:
- Gain real-world work experience and develop/enhance skills in the areas of marketing, project management, research, problem solving and interpersonal communication
- Increase knowledge and appreciation of other countries and cultures
- Receive academic credit (pending your advisor’s approval)
- Promote Iowa International Center events and programs on community calendars
- Assist with creating and distributing posters and flyers for monthly Dialogue events
- Assist with monthly e-newsletter – including editing, emailing, and print format development
- Update iowainternationalcenter.org and welcometoiowa.org calendars with free and relevant community events, as well as ongoing IIC events
- Assist with social media including planning, scheduling posts, content review, promotion, graphic development, etc.
- Assist with grant and donor prospect research, proposal writing and editing
- Assist in writing press releases for events and programs
- Update websites and track changes on a weekly basis to ensure content is current
- Assist with content development and design of general marketing materials
- Assist with event management including set up, hosting guests, videotaping and post-event video production
- College student or recent graduate seeking professional experience and/or academic internship credit
- Background in any of the following (but not limited to): business, communications, marketing, management, information technology, or international relations. Those seeking experience in non-profit development and fundraising may also find additional opportunities to research grants and other funding opportunities as time allows.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to be self-directed and work independently while also working as part of a team
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, set priorities and deadlines, and maintain accurate records
- Problem solving skills, including the ability to resolve conflicts and recommend an appropriate course of action
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel required); knowledge of databases a plus (FileMaker Pro and Salesforce), as well as desktop publishing and graphics software (Microsoft Publisher and Adobe Photoshop) a plus
- Internships occur during fall, spring, and summer semesters
- Must commit 15 hours per week; weekly schedule is negotiable and flexible (Office hours 8:00 AM-5:00 PM)
For consideration please submit a completed application, resume and cover letter to the intern manager.
Please direct application and inquiries to:
Janet Norton, Intern Manager
Iowa International Center
319 7th Street, Suite 200, Des Moines, IA 50309
Phone: 515-282-8269, ext. 12 | Fax: 515-282-0454