The Public Relations Consultant works for the University News Service. The News Service is the primary public relations office for the University of Minnesota and the initial point of access for local, national and international media. The consultant is responsible for providing strategic counsel on public relations and media relations issues, and identifying and placing news stories as part of comprehensive public relations strategies for a range of University clients. Specifically, the Public Relations Consultant will:
• Work with the University community to identify and implement strategic proactive and responsive communications that will include identifying and publicizing news, information related to the University’s legislative requests, research findings, accomplishments and achievements that advance the reputation of the institution;
• Create and maintain professional, productive relationships with the media;
• Manage print, broadcast and online news inquiries;
• Provide media relations and public relations counsel, media training, prep materials (e.g., talking points, Q&A, etc.) and other resources to effectively tell the University’s story and manage the institution’s reputation;
• Develop and write news releases, opinion editorials and other media materials;
• Collaborate with other University Relations staff and University partners to maximize exposure for stories via social media and other communications assets (e.g. university web site, internal communications, partner newsletters, etc.)
• Help manage issues and crises, in cooperation with the Director of Public Relations, Assistant Director of Public Relations, and University leaders and communicators;
• Create, develop and implement communications strategies (including evaluation metrics) for university initiatives and projects;
• Strengthen proactive partnerships with internal stakeholders, including University senior leaders, to identify stories, external and internal communications opportunities and strategies to engage partner networks and influencers;
• Work with other members of the News Service/PR team to develop internal processes and practices that improve efficiency, responsiveness and strategic public relations.
Required qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, or Marketing with two to four years of professional experience. Or a non-communication-related degree with at least four years of professional experience (at least two of which is in communications). Experience in journalism, public relations or communications is preferred. Ability to pitch and earn placement of news stories in print and electronic media. A record of successfully using social media as a tool in strategic public relations. Excellent written and oral communication skills, sound news judgment and an entrepreneurial attitude are essential. Also needed are the ability to develop and execute communications strategies, experience in issues management and the ability to prioritize, follow through and work independently under tight deadlines. Knowledge of video and other multimedia is a plus.
For more information and to apply, click here.