CENTRAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
POSITION: Director of Communications and Congregational Outreach
LOCATION: Des Moines, IA
CHURCH SIZE: 500+
We strive to be a Christian congregation dedicated to a strong tradition of worship, committed to spiritual inquiry and growth, caring for one another and bearing witness to God’s love in the world.
Central Presbyterian Church, centrally located in Iowa’s thriving capital city, is searching for a qualified Communications and Congregational Outreach Director to serve as soon as possible. The Pastor, among others, will interview finalists. We are looking for a candidate with strong communications and social media credentials and someone who understands the power of passion, faith and fun. The candidate selected will focus on keeping the congregation informed about all the activities of the church and to help involve current members and attract new members. During the past 12 months, this 167-year-old- church has gone through a historic transformation as facilities have been remodeled and updated. Young and old, the membership is engaged in planning and excited to welcome new staff. Applicants who would like to a part of this church culture should e-mail a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Bachelors or associates degree in communications, media, advertising, or a related field.
- Experience in desktop publishing, web design, and social media.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software, including Word, Publisher, and Outlook, Photoshop, and other media or design applications. Ability to learn CDM+ church database software.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Proficiency in spelling and grammar. Ability to communicate effectively with staff, volunteers, members, and the general public.
- Understanding of good graphic design.
- Creativity and energy. Approach to communications that is current, fresh, and modern.
- Good organizational and time-management skills. Ability to manage multiple projects, and take projects from beginning to end. Ability to meet deadlines.
- Initiative, taking appropriate action when something needs to be done.
- Focus on results. Metric driven.
- Ability to cooperate and work as part of a team.
- Dependability and flexibility.
- Honesty, integrity, and confidentiality.
In addition, this position requires:
- A background check
- Applicants are requested to have two church-related and two community-related references
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee and coordinate the publication of all internal printed communications: newsletters, bulletins, brochures, flyers, posters, invitations, directories, etc.
- Oversee and coordinate all electronic communication, including the church website, e-mail blasts, listserv, blogs, etc. Lead effort to redevelop the website, and keep it maintained regularly, ensuring that content is kept fresh and up to date.
- Oversee and coordinate advertising, marketing, and public relations efforts to promote the church and special congregational events, programs, and activities (e.g., concerts, lectures, Holiday Market, Vacation Bible School, special worship services, etc.) within the wider community. This includes external signage and banners, direct mail postcards, posters, advertisements in newspapers, magazines, playbills, etc.
- Manage the church’s social media presence (facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.). Ensure that content is posted regularly. Work to build and expand social media followings, and develop metrics for the reach and level of engagement.
- Oversee and implement church branding campaign, ensuring consistency of style and appearance across all media. Monitor the use of logos, images, and typefaces in all communication.
- Oversee the use of all church audio/video equipment, including Fellowship Hall sound system, Sanctuary sound system, Sanctuary hearing aid system, televisions, projectors, cameras, DVD players, etc. Ensure that all equipment is kept properly maintained. Make copies of worship services available, and maintain digital archive of worship services. Ensure that photos are taken of church activities and events. Organize photos in electronic files, to be used for publications, advertising, online albums, etc.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive communications plan/calendar to ensure that all church events are promoted in appropriate ways and in a timely fashion.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Communications and Membership Committees. Attend monthly meetings of each committee and participate actively in the committees’ work. Make recommendations concerning budgets for these committees, and monitor how funds are spent.
- Develop volunteer teams as deemed necessary to accomplish communications goals. Enlist, equip, and encourage qualified volunteers (e.g., writers, photographers, artists, etc.)
- Oversee relations with media, cultivating positive relationships and following appropriate policies and procedures for media relations.
- Network actively within the community, serving as a visible presence of Central Presbyterian Church, and fostering relationships with other neighborhood, church, ecumenical, civic, or community organizations.
- Work proactively to find and implement new initiatives, strategies, technologies, etc. to attract new members, and to engage all members.
- Provide occasional support in absence of Office Manager, doing routine office duties (e.g., reception, answering phones, making copies, etc.)
- Monday through Friday, 8 hours/day
- Occasional evening meetings (usually twice a month)
- Rarely need to be present on a Sunday morning