Iowa Coalition Against Sexual Assault (IowaCASA) is seeking a Communications and Fundraising Intern for a summer internship. IowaCASA is a nonprofit organization that works with advocates across the state to provide services and resources to survivors of sexual violence.
Ideal applicants will want to gain insight and experience within a nonprofit social justice organization by assisting the Communications Specialist with ongoing, detail-oriented projects. Social media expertise, research experience, and fundraising experience is a plus but not necessarily a requirement. This internship will grant applicants the opportunity to learn about our organization and the different ways we communicate our message within the community.
Position will be based in Des Moines, but our organization can be flexible to meet the needs of the ideal candidate for this position. Please feel free to share widely with students you feel may be interested in applying.
Duties and responsibilities
The Communications and Fundraising Intern will assist the Communications Specialist on a number of initiatives, including but not limited to:
- Provide social media support on Facebook and Twitter as needed, including gathering news articles, reports, and information that would be relevant for IowaCASA’s social media platforms.
- Research targeted media areas throughout the state, collect data, and build a media database for communications purposes.
- Assist with development plan to ensure that IowaCASA is on track to meet its fundraising goals. This involves establishing host event committees, event planning, and more.
- Research potential donors and work with staff, board of directors, and volunteer fundraising committee to develop a functioning prospect list for IowaCASA leadership to solicit donations from.
- Assist with regular website audits to ensure website content is accurate and up- to-date.
- Other responsibilities as needed.
- Excellent writing and communications skills.
- Knowledge and interest in communications, fundraising, social media, website
maintenance, and social justice work.
- A willingness to learn and be creative.
- Have an understanding of issues surrounding social justice and sexual violence
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to achieve short-term and
- • Ability to multi-task, take direction, follow through on projects, meet deadlines, and provide inspired input.
Send letter of interest, resume, and writing sample to Matty Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org. Internship position will be open until filled by qualified applicant. Email inquiries only please. Writing sample can be anything that showcases your talents as a writer and a communicator. Applications will be accepted until May 6. Start date will be May 16.