Youth Emergency Services & Shelter (YESS) meets the critical needs of the community by providing a continuum of quality programs designed to keep children safe and families together. As the largest youth shelter and the only crisis nursery of its kind in the state of Iowa, YESS serves nearly 2,000 children each year – newborn to age 17 – by providing emergency shelter, crisis intervention, and counseling services in an effort to heal families and change lives. YESS’ range of services meet the physical, mental, and social health needs of children and teens, creating an environment where families can thrive.
YESS is looking for an energetic and dedicated Intern with a spirit for improving his/her community. The Marketing & Development Intern’s role is to uphold the agency mission and to support the Development team by assisting with annual giving/capital campaign initiatives; special event planning; donor relations; and special project completion. Collaborating and working closely with agency staff, the Marketing & Development Intern will engage in comprehensive awareness efforts and will need to be flexible while embracing challenges associated with work in the nonprofit sector.
- 2016 Spring Semester (February thru May)
- Approximately 10 – 15 hours per week (Evenings & weekends included)
- Weekly schedule is flexible and can be adjusted
- Support the Development Team in the successful planning and implementation of annual giving appeals and special fundraising initiatives, including the YESS Duck Derby.
- Assist with community engagement and volunteer coordination efforts in various capacities
- Assist with communication and promotional strategies, including agency publications, promotional materials, agency website maintenance and social media initiatives
- Support ongoing agency stewardship initiatives.
- Assist with the planning of multiple special event activities as assigned.
- Special projects and duties as assigned.
- Strong Verbal and Written Communication Skills
- Ability to work independently and complete assigned tasks within identified timeframes
- Basic Desktop Publishing and Website Management skills (i.e. Microsoft Office Suite)
- Positive attitude, flexibility, and problem solving mentality.
- Willingness to assist in public events and presentations in a variety of settings
- Desire to work in the nonprofit sector
- Valid driver’s license
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods. Work involves walking, talking and hearing to exchange information, and using hands to handle, feel, or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Capable of pushing, pulling, lifting, and/or carrying up to 25 pounds.
- Noise level in work environment is generally low to moderate.
Compensation: This is a paid internship.
Supervision: The Marketing & Development Intern will be assisted, directed, and supervised by Kristin Huinker, Development Manager.
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit a general agency employment application to Kristin Huinker at email@example.com or mail to: YESS c/o Kristin Huinker, 918 SE 11th St, Des Moines, IA 50309. The deadline to apply is Wednesday, December 23, 2015. Qualified applicants will be contacted and interviews scheduled for the week of January 11, 2016. As a finalist, applicants must be free from communicable disease and are required to complete necessary background checks.