Note: deadline to apply for spring is this week.
This internship is primarily focused on Public Relations for the school district, but would also be beneficial to Journalism, Marketing or other Communications majors.
Contact: Samantha Kampman, Coordinator of Communications and Marketing, 515-289-3950.
To Apply: E-mail resume, writing samples, & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by the date listed below.
Selection Process: Interview with Coordinator of Communications. Send resume and a minimum of three applicable writing samples to the contact above.
Spring Semester Internship: January to June. Apply by November 20.
Summer Internship: June to August. Apply by April 15.
Fall Semester Internship: August to December. Apply by June 15.
Hours: Can be flexibly scheduled Monday-Friday between 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. to accommodate the student’s class schedule. 400-hour goal will accommodate most university internship requirements.
Location: Ankeny Community Schools District Office, 306 SW School Street, Ankeny, IA 50023
Compensation: Unpaid, but will structure internship to meet course credit requirements.
Responsibilities: Under supervision of the Coordinator of Communications and Marketing, and dependent upon demonstrated skill in various areas, the intern will:
- Develop communications timelines, strategies, and creative briefs for projects
- Create drafts of communications identified by the Communications Coordinator. This may include interviewing staff members to gain information. Editing of subsequent drafts supervised by the Communications Coordinator. Communications may include:
- Internal staff e-mails
- Press releases & district web site “news” stories
- Communications to parents and the public
- New web pages (and editing of existing pages)
- Weekly staff e-newsletters, using information sent by various district departments
- Stories for the Ankeny Advance newsletter
- Other non-recurring communications
- Proofreading for grammar and punctuation
- Upon final draft approval by the Communications Coordinator, assist in execution of:
- Posting Web pages and news stories
- Monitoring Web site for functionality
- Formatting and distributing e-mails in templates
- Formatting print materials in InDesign and Word templates
- Collaboration with the print shop to print materials
- Research of new Web tools and development of social media to integrate with the district Web site
- Other duties as assigned (may include filing, researching, and clerical tasks)
Requirements: Strong writing skills. Preferably a student with a major or minor in public relations, journalism, marketing, or some other form of communications. Strong grammar and proofreading skills. Strong research skills.
Preferred Skills: Strong journalistic interviewing skills. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite. Experience with web site navigation/design or theory. Experience with social media such as Facebook, Twitter, HootSuite, and other programs. Photography or videography experience.