This internship is primarily focused on Public Relations for the school district, but would also be beneficial to Journalism, Marketing or other Communications majors.
Contact: Samantha Kampman, Coordinator of Communications and Marketing, 515-289-3950.
To Apply: E-mail resume, writing samples, & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by the date listed below.
Selection Process: Interview with Coordinator of Communications. Send resume and a minimum of three applicable writing samples to the contact above.
Spring Semester Internship: January to June. Apply by November 20.
Summer Internship: June to August. Apply by April 15.
Fall Semester Internship: August to December. Apply by June 15.
Hours: Can be flexibly scheduled Monday-Friday between 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. to accommodate the student’s class schedule. 400-hour goal will accommodate most university internship requirements.
Location: Ankeny Community Schools District Office, 306 SW School Street, Ankeny, IA 50023
Compensation: Unpaid, but will structure internship to meet course credit requirements.
Responsibilities: Under supervision of the Coordinator of Communications and Marketing, and dependent upon demonstrated skill in various areas, the intern will:
- Develop communications timelines, strategies, and creative briefs for projects
- Create drafts of communications identified by the Communications Coordinator. This may include interviewing staff members to gain information. Editing of subsequent drafts supervised by the Communications Coordinator. Communications may include:
- Internal staff e-mails
- Press releases & district web site “news” stories
- Communications to parents and the public
- New web pages (and editing of existing pages)
- Weekly staff e-newsletters, using information sent by various district departments
- Stories for the Ankeny Advance newsletter
- Other non-recurring communications
- Proofreading for grammar and punctuation
- Upon final draft approval by the Communications Coordinator, assist in execution of:
- Posting Web pages and news stories
- Monitoring Web site for functionality
- Formatting and distributing e-mails in templates
- Formatting print materials in InDesign and Word templates
- Collaboration with the print shop to print materials
- Research of new Web tools and development of social media to integrate with the district Web site
- Other duties as assigned (may include filing, researching, and clerical tasks)
Requirements: Strong writing skills. Preferably a student with a major or minor in public relations, journalism, marketing, or some other form of communications. Strong grammar and proofreading skills. Strong research skills.
Preferred Skills: Strong journalistic interviewing skills. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite. Experience with web site navigation/design or theory. Experience with social media such as Facebook, Twitter, HootSuite, and other programs. Photography or videography experience.