The program director position is a leadership and operations role responsible for leading and managing all aspects of a radio station’s on-air experience, including talent, content, programming and online presence. A successful program director will review and decide which programs and commercials will be broadcast, determine music play lists and schedule programming. The program director identifies, recruits and coaches on-air talent with the goal of growing audience share, ratings and revenue. The program director also partners with the sales and programming staff to ensure appropriate programming fit for client needs, and to create talent and radio station marketing, promotion and image campaigns. The program director reports to the senior vice president of programming.
- Experience with News Talk format preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of FCC broadcast rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local contesting rules and regulations.
- Experience using tools to gather and analyze ratings data and then make business decisions based on the analysis.
- Extensive knowledge of Diary data analysis.
- Prior experience directing and managing a team
- Sound judgment and quality decision making skills.
- Ability to multitask and capable of working with deadlines, highly organized, ability to delegate responsibility.
- Flexible, creative and innovative in using technology to deepen listener relationships.
- Ability to manage and motivate staff, in addition to working well as a member of a team.
- Ability to think both tactically and strategically.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Entrepreneurial and assertive in meeting goals.
- Ability to set expectations with others and manage performance.
- Ability to provide honest coaching. Strong interpersonal skills.
- Prior experience as a broadcaster, in news, sports or as a DJ preferred. Prior experience as a program director or assistant program director preferred.
Send tape, resume and cover letter to: Patricia Wilson, iHeartMedia, 2141 Grand Ave., Des Moines, IA 50312. Email is firstname.lastname@example.org
iHeartMedia Inc. is one of the leading global media and entertainment companies specializing in radio, digital, outdoor, mobile, live events, and on-demand entertainment and information services for local communities and providing premier opportunities for advertisers.