Neighborhood Engagement Internship, Community Housing Initiatives
“Viva East Bank!” is an initiative that brings people together to make change at a grassroots, neighborhood level to help revitalize three Des Moines’ neighborhoods. We are seeking an energetic intern to help support our work through “Viva East Bank!”. The ideal candidate will be social media savvy, passionate about community building and a strong communicator. The intern can expect to meet various leaders in the community through projects, program participation and regular meetings. This is a strong resume-building experience, while also directly impacting the city and those who live in our community. Starting date for this position is targeted for late May with an earlier start date negotiable.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Communication and Resident/Neighborhood Engagement Components
- Collaborate with residents, City of Des Moines staff, and Viva East Bank stakeholders to support and promote specific projects, events, and activities related to implementing the neighborhood plans for Capitol East, Capitol Park, and Martin Luther King Jr Park.
- Help directly facilitate neighborhood events and activities.
- Utilize social media including Facebook, Twitter, and blog posts on the Viva East Bank website to market the activities and work being done through Viva East Bank.
- Create and distribute press releases to the media related to Viva East Bank projects and events.
- Maintain and distribute an electronic newsletter to Viva East Bank partners and neighborhood residents.
- Develop brochures and printed materials that summarize Viva East Bank.
- Office Related Components
- Attend trainings and meetings as required.
- Keep appropriate files and documentation of contact with partners, residents, etc.
- Maintain records of program participation, volunteers, and hours of service.
- Collect, maintain, and help analyze neighborhood data about physical conditions of buildings and blocks in Capitol East, Capitol Park and Martin Luther King Jr Park neighborhoods.
- Prepare written reports as needed.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Direct experience working on a team and collaborating on a common project.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in working successfully with a variety of personalities and diverse populations.
- Ability to speak, comprehend, and translate Spanish is beneficial, but not required.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Publisher, Outlook, and the Internet.
- Ability to multi-task and complete assignments on a scheduled deadline.
- Work hours may vary, totaling 25-30 hours per week. Non-traditional hours with some travel possible.
- Ability to perform moderate heavy physical work, exerting up to 30 pounds of force on occasion, up to 15 pounds frequently, and up to 5-10 pounds constantly, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, including duties requiring repetitive motion skills, such as computer and calculator work.
RESPONSIBLE TO: Resident Services Director WAGE RATE: $12.00/hour
Interested candidates may contact Malai Amfahr, Resident Services Director, at email@example.com, (515) 262-5965.