Iowa Starting Line is looking for interns to assist with our news site’s operations. Starting Line was founded by Pat Rynard in January 2015, and is a news site focused on the Iowa Caucus and Iowa political news. We aim to be one of the go-to sites for Iowa Caucus coverage, both locally and nationally, and have already broken several important Iowa political stories. In our first month, the website received over 22,000 hits, and our overall reach continues to rapidly grow.
Interns’ duties may include, but not be limited to:
- Attend visits by presidential candidates and other major political events to record notes, take pictures, possibly live-tweet and interview event attendees. Depending on the event, you may write up a post to be published on Starting Line.
- Research policy and political information for in-depth articles.
- Compile state and national press and journalist information to help Starting Line’s outreach to mainstream news sources.
- Help with social media strategy to expand the news site’s reach. In particular, I need help moving beyond Twitter and Facebook as my main social media channels.
- Take the lead on specific Starting Line series of posts, like the Travel Guide and “How to Win X County” series.
- Contact campaigns, elected officials and government agencies for press information.
- Assist with the back-end mechanics of the website.
- Assist with Starting Line’s long-term project to offer Iowa Caucus tours to out-of-staters.
- Other tasks and opportunities as we discover them.
It should be noted that I am looking for several interns to fulfill these responsibilities. If you don’t want to write for the site, you can focus more on the behind-the-scenes research and social media aspects of it. I also do not care if applicants are Democrat, Republican or independent. While Starting Line has a Democratic-lean to it, the majority of posts and articles are straight news reporting and analysis.
Contact Pat Rynard at IowaStartingLine@gmail.com or call at 515-868-5665 to apply or for more details.