The City of Waukee seeks a dynamic, self-starter to assist marketing and communications efforts for the City. This internship provides an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of marketing, communications and public relations while working for the fastest-growing city in the State of Iowa. The Marketing and Communications intern works under the supervision of the Communications Director to provide creative support in the creation and distribution of promotional materials, presentations, online communications, and other communications created and distributed by the City of Waukee. The Marketing and Communications Intern will learn about both internal and external communications, including communications with City of Waukee employees, residents, the media, along with promoting the City’s brand.
- Working towards a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Graphic Design or related field.
- Minimum three years college-level instruction in journalism, graphic design or related field.
- Experience in Adobe Creative Suite applications with an understanding and eye for graphic design.
- Knowledge of journalistic writing and AP style.
- Well organized and detail oriented, along with critical thinking skills.
- Design promotional materials and templates for the City of Waukee.
- Assist in planning, writing and managing monthly eNewsletters.
- Draft, distribute and pitch news releases, media alerts and other stories.
- Update the City of Waukee City Newsfeed regularly.
- Assist with social media.
- Manage content and storage of stories, promotional pieces and press releases.
Start Date: ASAP; requires 6-8 month commitment
Hours: 20 hours per week
Compensation: $12 per hour
To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to Amanda@waukee.org