Student Scholarship Information & Application ~ Deadline to Apply is September 5, 2014
The Alliance for Women in Media Foundation (AWMF) and the National Cable & Telecommunications Association (NCTA) are pleased to announce a new joint scholarship. The mission of this partnership is to assist a college student in her studies as well as to shed a light on issues of prominence in the media.
The student has the opportunity to produce the concept for a digital piece, essay or other creative concept focused on one of the key topics outlined.
· Review of cable industry public policy viewpoints. Take a thoughtful and journalistic approach in reviewing cable industry viewpoints as portrayed by NCTA on its websites or through other information media, and focus and report on one or several points of view that may be of interest to the student. For example, the student could analyze one or more NCTA policy viewpoints and describe how such policies would benefit both industry and consumers, or describe how policy viewpoints might reflect or affect the current and future state of the industry.
· The significance of digital literacy and 21st century skills. Review information and literature on the importance of 21st century skills in the U.S. education system and reflect on the contribution to skills development, by companies in the entertainment and media industry.
· Forecasting trends in new and digital media. Survey the horizon of digital media trends and provide a forecast of the media landscape five years from now, from the perspective of transformative broadband products, services, and platforms that are likely to take shape and evolve over the five-year period.
· Choose from one of the three projects outlined above and submit a concept paper via e-mail to mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org by September 5, 2014.
· Include a statement as to why you believe the project and topic to be important.
· Provide sample of a work (digital, written or other) completed for a college class.
· Submit a letter of recommendation from a professor or journalism/media/communicationsprofessional.
· Include pertinent personal information via cover page or otherwise:
o Name with signature indicating that you are in agreement with the deadlines and can attend the October 28, 2014 event in New York.
o College or University and expected year of graduation.
o A copy of a valid student ID and/or other proof of enrollment.
o Contact Information (mailing address, phone, email, twitter) where applicant can be reached.
o Indicate how you learned of this scholarship.
Scholarship Recipient Requirements and Deadlines:
The winner and all other applicants will be notified no later than September 15, 2014. Once chosen for the scholarship, the student will develop and deliver no later than October 15, 2014, the specific project outlined and approved in the chosen subject area. A first draft will need to be provided by October 1, 2014 for review and feedback.
Scholarship Money and Recognition: AWMF and NCTA will select one student winner to receive $3,500 payable to the winning student’s educational institution (50% on October 1 and 50% on October 28), and one complimentary ticket to the AWM’s Women with Solutions event on October 28, 2014 in New York City (hotel and travel not included).
· This scholarship opportunity is open to any female undergraduate or graduate student attending an accredited college or university in the United States. Those pursuing a media career in an area such as cable, television, radio, digital media, publishing, journalism, advertising, production, creative design, or others are especially encouraged to apply.
· The finished product, pending editorial review, will be featured in NCTA and AWMF media distribution channels; and the student will have the right to use and retain the deliverable material in her own portfolio and for any purposes she sees fit.
Application with requested materials must be submitted by the close of business on September 5, 2014.
For questions, please contact Erin Price at email@example.com or 703-506-3290.
Alliance for Women in Media Foundation
1760 Old Meadow Road, Suite 500 ~ McLean, VA 22102
http://www.allwomeninmedia.org ~ 703-506-3290