Train to be a grassroots organizer (non-paid internship). Provide support for the Supporter Engagement and Public Policy Department. Be a part of a dynamic team that builds the political proficiency of Planned Parenthood of the Heartland.
1. Participate in trainings and skill building exercises on the theory, practice and ideology Planned Parenthood of the Heartland employs in its grassroots organizing program.
2. Cross train and shadow in other areas of Planned Parenthood of the Heartland to develop strong organizational knowledge.
3. Provide support to the Supporter Engagement and Public Policy Department. These duties may include, but are not limited to:
- a. Recruit and train volunteers
- b. Assist with phone programs
- c. Staff activist recruitment and outreach events
- d. Input and track departmental data
- e. Participate in departmental meetings as requested
- f. Assist in the development and implementation of strategies to recruit, educate and mobilize the activists in the community
- g. Assist with electoral work
4. Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
A commitment to reproductive justice, women’s health, and gender equity is required. Must demonstrate a strong desire to protect reproductive choice through local advocacy, activism, and organizing. Experience in direct sales/marketing, political campaigns, or social justice volunteer work preferred.
Ability to maintain confidentiality of all Planned Parenthood business and activities on and off of the job. Primary functions take place in Des Moines. 10 – 12 hours/week expected time commitment (incl. Tuesday and/or Thursday evening).
Interested applicants should send their resume to our Regional Organizer:
Mazie Johnson, email@example.com, 515.242.8611
Summer 2014 internship dates are May 27, 2014 – August 15, 2014
Deadline to apply is May 9, 2014
Fall 2014 internship dates are August 25, 2014- November 21, 2014
Deadline to apply is August 8, 2014