Oakridge Neighborhood Services (ONS) is seeking a current college or graduate student who is interested in serving as an intern and providing a wide range of database, research, administrative, and general support to ONS’s Chief Development Officer (CDO). In return, ONS will provide an opportunity for the intern to gain experience in and familiarity with areas such as fundraising, grant writing and research, development, programming, marketing, and the day-to-day operations of a nonprofit organization. The Development and Communications Intern will report to the CDO and support that department’s work.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist in the maintenance of the ONS web site
- Assist the development staff in entering data into ONS’s donor database.
- Assist the development staff in planning donor events and other activities.
- Assist with mailings, filing, and special projects as needed
- Attend department and staff meetings.
- Conduct research on potential donors, strategic partners, markets, and industries.
- Prepare reports and presentations for internal and external use.
- Maintain donor files and other development materials.
- Draft correspondence, reports, proposals and donor appeals.
- Interested in the issues in improving access to quality education, decreasing poverty, and working with diverse populations and generally socially conscious individual.
- Organized, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments.
- Good interpersonal skills and attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong writing and research abilities.
- Creative and Flexible.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite applications.
- Experience with databases is a plus.
- Familiarity with social networking sites desired.
- Desire to learn more about fundraising and philanthropy and marketing and communications, and a demonstrated interest in nonprofit management and community development.
- Unimpeachable ethical standards and personal integrity.
Hours, Start Date and Duration
Flexible within business hours (8:00 am to 5:00 pm). A firm commitment of 20 to 30 hours per week is required. The internship will start at a mutually agreed upon date and will continue through the end of the 2013-2014 academic year depending on mutual interest and satisfactory performance with the potential to extend through the summer academic semester. This is an unpaid internship; however, seeking experiential credit for this internship is encouraged and ONS’s CDO will provide the utmost support for Interns to receive credit.
How to Apply
We value all of our interns and go the extra mile to make sure you receive a learning experience that fits your career goals. You will become extremely knowledgeable and gain understanding of achieving goals in a professional setting. You will also learn how to work in a professional environment and have ample opportunity to network with department leaders and other professionals. To apply for the position, please submit a cover letter, resume, and one-page writing sample (persuasive writing, descriptive writing, or formal correspondence preferred) by email to email@example.com (please put “Development and Communication Intern” in the subject line), or by fax the information to 515.244.2604. The position is available for immediate hire, with applications considered on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to submit applications as early as possible. No phone calls, please. For questions, please email.
While the above is a description of the essential functions of the position, other duties may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at the discretion of the CDO. The position is based in Des Moines, IA.
Oakridge Neighborhood Services is an equal opportunity employer.