Iowa’s largest provider of PK-12 education is seeking an experienced communications professional to assist with the direction and implementation of media relations as well as external, digital media, and internal communication functions to develop news and information content for a variety of constituencies served by Des Moines Public Schools. Applicants must have excellent writing abilities, including on deadline and for a variety of communication platforms. Applicants must also have experience at developing web site and social media content, as well as experience working in an environment involving graphic design, videography and/or photography.
PUBLIC INFORMATION FUNCTIONS
Assist the Director of Communications with all aspects of communications, digital media, and media relations, including:
- Serve as the secondary spokesperson for the school district, and a contact for the news media.
- Assist with development and implementation of district-wide communication plans.
- Use and further develop the district’s social media platforms.
- Write and distribute press releases and other media notifications.
- Write content on district news and events for the DMPS blog and other special reports.
- Develop, write and edit stories for the district newsletter.
- Develop content and stories for DMPS-TV.
- Advance and organize media and other public special events.
INTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS FUNCTIONS
Assist Director of Communications and Director of Human Resources with marketing district career opportunities and communication with district employees, such as:
- Develop and coordinate an internal employee newsletter.
- In conjunction with IT and Communications, coordinate upgrade of the district’s internal web site.
- Develop HR-related social media pages.
- Assist with HR marketing efforts, and serve as liaison between HR and Communications for support with graphic/web design, video/photography, etc.
- Other communications-related tasks as agreed to by the Human Resources and Community Relations directors.
- Undergraduate degree in journalism, public relations or related field and/or a minimum of 5-7 years of comparable professional experience.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and contacts with the public, news media, government officials and others in the course of assignment.
- Demonstrated ability to assess and respond to media requests in a timely, courteous and effective manner.
- Strategic thinker who excels at coming up with original ideas and is able to execute.
- Ability to proactively identify communications opportunities and develop supporting programs.
- Demonstrated ability to write effective and timely stories and news releases.
- Excellent oral, writing, proofreading and editing skills with a demonstrated ability to translate technical or complex subjects for general audiences.
- Knowledge of crisis management techniques and strategies to keep people informed appropriately while managing the release of information during emergency situations.
- Knowledge of media tactics, including interview techniques and preparation.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor during highly visible situations.
- Strong personal initiative, problem solving skills, creativity, and ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Proficiency with current technology for performance of duties.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize a combination of several media types such as graphics, pictures, audio, video, data, and animation, to convey messages to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated fluency in the use of social media.