The Principal Financial Group is currently seeking dynamic sales driven professionals to join our employee benefits sales team as external Associate Sales Representatives in 2014. In this role, you have the unique opportunity to work with and learn the employee benefits industry from the inside out through a variety of experiences which include:
- Assignment to one of 6 national training centers where you will learn our business followed by a permanent Sales Representative territory assignment in one of 18 local markets around the country.
- A comprehensive 9 month training center based program designed to expose you to all aspects of our employee benefits business, including: professional selling skills, marketing, product distribution, pricing, product knowledge, risk analysis and customer care.
- Intensive classroom-based study and opportunities to network with, and learn from, Principal Financial Group senior leadership through development rotations at our corporate headquarters.
- On-the-job training with highly successful sales leaders and mentors who can help you learn the employee benefits business and prepare you for the opportunity to drive sales within an assigned territory.
Once you have gained the required knowledge of the business and secured your insurance license, you have the ability to directly impact territory sales, overall business unit success, and your compensation through:
- Developing and executing sales plans.
- Building relationships with financial advisors within your assigned territory.
- Successfully marketing Group Life, Disability, Dental and Vision solutions through intermediaries for employer groups ranging from 3 to 999 employees.
Desired Skills and Experience
We are looking to fill this position with a start date of May/June 2014. Successful candidates will have the following skills:
- B.S. or B.A. degree or equivalent required at the time of hire.
- 0-2 years of relevant job experience (which would include but not limited to the following: financial
- services related experience, sales related experience, sales related internship).
- For recent college graduates with limited experience, looking for exceptional leadership, academic, extracurricular, or athletic achievement during college experience.
- Strong interest in a career in external sales.
- Must have sales aptitude and strong relationship building skills.
- Strong work ethic, self-starter, and accountable for own actions.
- Must have the ability to adapt to change as well as manage multiple projects.
- Licensing will be required based on state/federal laws and/or company policy in accordance with current licensing policy.
- Requires ability to work independently, excellent and persuasive written and oral communication skills, excellent presentation skills, basic computer skills.
- Willingness to travel within the identified territory as needed for this position.
Preferred skills include:
- Awards or recognition from collegiate sales competitions.
- 3.0 GPA or higher.
- Bachelor’s degree in business-related degree preferred.
This position will be located in one of 6 training locations including Charlotte NC, Chicago IL, Cincinnati OH, Walnut Creek CA, Columbia MD and Houston TX, as assigned, for a period of approximately 9 months followed by a permanent Sales Representative territory assignment in one of 18 local markets around the country. Eligible candidates must be willing to relocation for training and/or permanent assignment as assigned.
This position offers a winning combination for an individual who is ready to step up to the plate with desire and passion to grow their career into a successful external sales role. For a full listing of both preferred and required skills/experience or to apply directly to this position for consideration, please visit us online at www.principal.com/careers, #215068
At the Principal Financial Group, we offer a competitive total compensation package and a comprehensive benefits package to meet each of your needs. Even if this may not be the right opportunity for you, we have many other exciting positions that may align with your skills and interests – check us out! If you are looking for the opportunity to get ahead in your career, visit us at www.principal.com/careers to see all available positions.