Under the direction of the Marketing Manager, this intern assists in publicity efforts and performs a variety of duties working in the library’s Marketing Department.
Essential Job Functions
- will write copy for various marketing collateral including news releases, articles for newsletters, promotional copy for posters, web site, etc.
- assists marketing manager with event planning, author programs
- participates in strategic planning for the library, development of system-wide campaigns
- updates various publications and forms used by the library and its customers
- maintains and updates a scrap book and clipping file of library publicity
- assists with a variety of special events, including the library’s annual author series, the summer reading program for children, teens, and adults, and other on-going programs offered throughout the library’s six locations
- assists graphic designer on publicity and promotions such as power point displays, book displays, etc.
- prepares and oversees monthly e-mail blasts
- distributes posters and other publicity
- volunteers on a variety of projects
- works with library’s social marketing team
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong creative and communication skills
- Ability to prioritize.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of general office practices and procedures.
- Skill in operating various types of office equipment, telephone system, etc.
- Skill and experience in various office and design software.
- Ability to interpret and apply library policies and procedures.
- Ability to communicate with staff and patrons in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to spell, use correct grammar, and make simple mathematical calculations.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately.
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service both in person and on the telephone.
- Ability to drive a car.
Essential Physical Abilities
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing to be able to communicate effectively.
- Sufficient vision to be able to produce and review a wide variety of reports and related materials in both electronic and hard copy form.
- Sufficient manual dexterity to be able to access relevant library materials and operate a keyboard.
- Sufficient mobility to be able to transport materials and equipment.
- Sufficient mobility to stoop and reach well enough to perform office procedures and to shelve and retrieve materials.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs. on a frequent basis.
Education and Experience
Currently enrolled in college courses with emphasis in marketing, business, journalism, graphic design, literature, public relations, and English preferred.
For more information, contact:
JAN DANIELSON KAISER | MARKETING MANAGER | CENTRAL LIBRARY
DES MOINES PUBLIC LIBRARY | 1000 Grand Avenue | Des Moines, IA 50309
v: 515.283.4103 m: 515-490-8660 f: 515.237.1654 email@example.com