The following examples are intended only as illustrations of the duties of the internship. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude these tasks from the position if the work is similar, related to or a logical assignment of the position. The following percentages are an estimate of time spent in each area.
- Assist with duties related to numerous fundraising events including the Gourmet Gala in Iowa City, the Blazers, Bling & Blue Jeans Ball, the Jim Jordan Memorial Golf Outing and the Truck Convoy.
- Research grant opportunities.
- Complete tasks related to fall Polar Plunges.
- Work with the Director of Development on Law Enforcement Torch Run events.
- Assist with securing donations for Cargill Night at the Ballpark fundraiser in Cedar Rapids.
- Assist with athletic competitions taking place across the state.
- Assist with the computerized volunteer registration program (VSYS) – includes creating a system to organize information related to volunteers from Farm Bureau, Principal Financial Group, Wells Fargo and other companies to coordinate with grant requirements
- Write press releases and feature stories in addition to support for daily media clips
- Assist with research projects, editing and media outreach
- Schedule and post information on SOIA social media channels
- Senior level student with experience in fundraising, communications, journalism, public relations and sports
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) in addition to social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Hoot Suite)
- Experience with Adobe Design Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) and ability to use AP style
- Passion for sports and the ideals of the Special Olympics Movement
- Excellent communication and human relations skills, strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Nontraditional hours maybe required (including some work on weekends)
- Demonstrated ability to work in fast paced multidisciplinary team environment.
Application deadline is midnight May 10. Submit resume and cover letter (addressed to Dana Van Roekel, Special Olympics Iowa, CFO) electronically in PDF format to email@example.com
The internship will be completed in accordance with the policies and procedures of the intern’s academic institution. Desired start date is the week of May 20, 2013, and will conclude once the required university hours are met. Specific dates and office hours TBD once an offer has been made to the candidate.