Looking for some resume-building PR experience?
Local church located a few blocks from Drake’s campus is in need of an intern for 10-15 hours per week. Intern would work with and be supervised by a PR professional. Responsibilities include:
- Working with church leadership, develop communication objectives, in keeping with the church’s mission, with the overall goal of increasing awareness of the presence of the church in the residential neighborhood and on the Drake campus, as well as the metro area.
- Write and edit copy for communication materials, such as promotional flyers, news releases and brochures. Materials may be printed in-house or intern may work with local printers to get print estimates and purchase print services.
- Generate ideas for news stories regarding activities, events or people within the congregation. Develop a current media list of local outlets/reporters/editors, as well as contacts and deadlines for denominational publications. With supervision, be spokesperson for the church with the media.
- Help plan and implement special events, such as the church’s presence in the annual Beaverdale Parade, administrative assistance with Vacation Bible School in the summer, as well as helping to develop new event ideas that will increase
- Assist with Web page development, as well as social media communication to congregation and the community. Manage calendar listings and write weekly information for blast email to church members/friends.
This internship, though unpaid, is a good opportunity to build a resume, gain experience working on a variety of communication tasks as well as experience working with a largely volunteer organization in increasing awareness and developing new communication strategies. Hours are very flexible and most of the work can be done from the intern’s home. The intern will prepare a monthly written report for the Vestry (church board).
To apply, send resume and cover letter to: Polly Flug, firstname.lastname@example.org or Polly Flug, 1815 SE Birchwood Circle, Waukee, Iowa 50263
St. Luke’s Episcopal Church
3424 Forest Avenue
Questions? Call Polly at 515.975.8266 or email at the above address.