Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation, a private, statewide conservation non-profit is looking for a communications intern for this summer that would possibly extend through the 2013-2014 school year.
The communications intern writes news releases and magazine articles about INHF projects, assists with special events (like our annual Hagie Heritage Award), writes blog posts, updates our website and social media, and much more. Depending on organizational needs and intern skills, he/she may also assist with public events, photography and occasional graphic design.
This position usually goes to journalism majors (news, PR, etc.), and strong writing skills are required. Applicants should also have taken some key writing classes (like news writing and/or magazine writing) and have writing experience at a college publication and/or previous internship.
We’re looking for students who are:
- Attentive to detail
- Flexible and capable of working on multiple projects with varying deadlines
- Comfortable working on a team
- Organized and manage time well
There is a preference for applicants who can take the position for more than one semester, but one-semester applicants are also considered. Communications interns work in our downtown Des Moines office and must have their own transportation to and from work. The intern should be able to work a minimum of 12 hours/week during the spring and fall semesters and 35-40 hours/week during the summer. This a paid position at $9.50/hour.
To apply for the internship, please email Laura Johnson, Communications Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org the following. Deadline is April 5th.
- One-page cover letter
- 4-6 writing samples (published clips are ideal, but classroom work is also accepted)
- A copy (official or unoffical) of your transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation, with at least one being written by a professor in your major. The letters may be included in your application or sent separately by the writer. Include reference contact information.
Feel free to call or email in advance if you have questions!