Train to be a grassroots organizer. Develop organizational knowledge. Provide support for the Advocacy and Organizing Department. Be a part of a dynamic team that builds the political proficiency of Planned Parenthood of the Heartland.
- Participate in trainings and skill building exercises on the theory, practice and ideology Planned Parenthood of the Heartland employs in its grassroots organizing program.
- Cross train and shadow in other areas of Planned Parenthood of the Heartland to develop strong organizational knowledge.
- Provide support to the Advocacy and Organizing Department. These duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Recruit and train volunteers
- Assist with phone programs
- Staff activist recruitment and outreach events
- Input and track departmental data
- Participate in departmental meetings as requested
- Assist in the development and implementation of strategies to recruit, educate and mobilize the activists in the community
- Assist with electoral work
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
A commitment to reproductive justice, women’s health, and gender equity is required. Must demonstrate a strong desire to protect reproductive choice through local advocacy, activism, and organizing. Experience in direct sales/marketing, political campaigns, or social justice volunteer work preferred.
CUSTOMER SERVICE: Demonstrates concern for meeting internal and external customer needs in a manner that provides satisfaction. Anticipates additional needs of the customer beyond their current use of Planned Parenthood services. Understands and finds solutions within the limits of what is available. Can solve problems with minimal disruption. Communicates openly and directly. Able to change communication style according to the needs of the audience and the situation.
TEAMWORK: Able to gain cooperation from others and work collaboratively toward solutions which generally benefit all involved parties. Proactively identifies opportunities to assist others and ensures that information is communicated accurately and timely to all necessary parties. Behaves honestly and ethically. Communicates openly and directly. Able to change communication style according to the needs of the audience and the situation.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Establishes a systematic course of action to accomplish specific objectives. Determines priorities and uses time effectively. Completes the workload required of the position. Able to change priorities according to the work load and asks for assistance as appropriate.
ACHIEVEMENT ORIENTATION: Self-starting. Independently demonstrates a desire to set and meet objectives, to find a better or more efficient way to do things, and to compete against a self-defined standard of excellence.
SELF CONFIDENCE: Demonstrates a strongly positive image of self and own abilities, and a willingness to exercise and trust one’s independent judgment.
EXPERTISE (Technical or Procedural): Possesses specialized knowledge or skills to accomplish a result. Picks up on technical things quickly; is good at learning new skills. Often referred to as a quick learner.
ATTENTION TO DETAIL: Thorough in accomplishing a task. Accurately completes all areas involved no matter how small.
Ability to maintain confidentiality of all Planned Parenthood business and activities on and off of the job.
Interested applicants should send a resume to Regional Organizer
Tyler Redenbaugh, firstname.lastname@example.org, 515-235-0417
Position is available in the Des Moines area.
Deadline for Summer 2013 applications is May 3, 2013.