Hy-Vee has openings for two communications interns for summer 2013 at the corporate office of Hy-Vee, Inc., located in West Des Moines. Each position is 40 hours per week. The positions require some evening and weekend responsibilities. This is an excellent opportunity for a talented journalism or public relations major to hone his or her writing and public relations skills and get some hands-on professional work experience in myriad communications activities.
INTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS INTERN
1. Write copy for internal publications, including employee magazine, department newsletters, brochures, etc.
2. Assist with internal video projects: Generate story ideas; gather background information; assist with production, editing and distribution.
3. Generate and repurpose content for company intranet.
4. Assist with photography needs of department.
5. Assist with special initiatives and projects, including the Hy-Vee Triathlon.
6. Support the day-to-day activities of a busy communications department.
7. Report to work when scheduled and on time.
MEDIA RELATIONS INTERN
- Assist with PR for events, particularly IronKids races and Hy-Vee Triathlon.
- Write news releases.
- Set up media distribution lists.
- Develop content for online Media Center.
- Write posts for A Helpful Smile blog and cross-post to Hy-VeeMedia, Facebook and Twitter.
- Support the day-to-day activities of a busy communications department.
- Report to work when scheduled and on time.
PRIMARY QUALIFICATIONS FOR BOTH INTERNSHIPS
1. Demonstrated writing ability with knowledge of AP and Chicago styles.
2. Developed sense of news values.
3. Ability to generate story ideas.
4. Capacity to work on a number of assignments at the same time while meeting all deadlines.
5. Be innovative, creative, self-motivated, and dependable.
Both internships require travel. Successful candidates must have a valid driver’s license.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED TO PERFORM JOB
The candidate must be enrolled in a journalism or public relations program from a college or university and have completed the basic reporting and public relations courses required by that program.
For more information on either internship, candidates may contact Chris Friesleben at (515) 267-2941 or Ruth Comer at (515) 559-5770. The deadline for applying is March 8, 2013.
Interested candidates should apply online www.hy-vee.com. Please indicate which internship you are applying for in your cover letter. Both positions require a resume, cover letter and three writing samples sent to:
Attn: Brenda Goeden/Human Resource Dept.
5820 Westown Parkway, West Des Moines, IA 50266
Phone: (515) 453-2790 Fax: (515) 559-2405 E-mail: email@example.com