Iowa Heartland Resource Conservation and Development (IHRC&D) is a 501c3 nonprofit working in Jasper, Marion, Polk, Warren, Dallas, and Madison counties. The mission of Iowa Heartland RC&D is:
“To enhance our rural areas and local communities by facilitating grassroots efforts and partnerships for conservation and sustainable development.”
IHRC&D has an opportunity for an internship position available. The successful candidate would work 150 hours to complete the following tasks between hire and April 30, 2013. Summer project work may be available also.
Work elements include:
- Compile local food stakeholder contact list for each of the 6 counties
- Collect local food producer inventory on a Microsoft Access 2010 database (Database is already in use) Minimum 15 producers per county
- Attend and assist at stakeholder meetings as requested, track attendance, ethnicity, race & gender of those attending
- Distribute communication and announcements to stakeholders via email distribution list
- Submit monthly reports
- Update producer inventory monthly
- Create an Excel 2010 spreadsheet of farmers market manager’s contact information
- Create an Excel 2010 spreadsheet of CSA’s in the six county region
- Create local food potential buyer lists in each county (average five per county)
- May be asked to draft media releases and grant documents
- Other coordination documents as necessary
Upon satisfactory completion of the work elements listed above, the intern position will be recompensed a stipend of $1,050.
A highly qualified intern will have a passion for enhancing the local food system work, creativity in finding independent solutions to issues that arise, and experience or study of concepts relating to sustainable local food systems.
The work will be performed independently. No computers, software, telephone or other electronic devices will be provided by Iowa Heartland RC&D, the contractor/intern must provide their own computer, software and telephone to complete all tasks. The intern will not be considered an employee of Iowa Heartland RC&D, but instead be an independent contractor. All taxes and fees associated with the stipend will be the responsibility of the intern/contractor.
To apply, send resume/cover letter ASAP to:
Iowa Heartland RC&D