COMPANY: Allstate Insurance Company
APPLY: www.allstate.jobs and enter NOR01191 in the Job Number field.
TITLE: Field Support Intern, Allstate Corporate Relations Department
LOCATION: Northbrook, Illinois
Corporate Relations (CR) plays a vital role in Allstate’s success. We advance the business priorities of the corporation through effective strategic communications and promote alignment and engagement with Allstate’s reputation-building strategies across the enterprise. We provide our leaders, our employees and our agency owners and their staffs with tools that help drive exceptional value for customers. We drive business results through:
- Improved external reputation with investors, policymakers, media, customers, consumers, engaged consumers and opinion-leaders
- Improved Allstater engagement and accountability
We lead work that reassures our customers — and those who someday will be customers — that they are in Good Hands with Allstate. We help policymakers and regulators understand how we prepare and protect their constituents. We connect Allstate with communities around the country and deliver on our “good hands” promise to society.
The Field/Strategy Business Communication team is responsible for advancing business priorities through effective strategic communications counsel and for promoting alignment and engagement with Allstate’s reputation-building strategies across the enterprise. The internship will provide a focused immersion into the world of PR and communications within Allstate. In addition the intern will get meaningful and challenging work that is tactical and strategic in nature. Through working with the field and home office CR groups, the Intern will develop and execute on projects and communications that drive engagement and positively influence Allstate’s reputation with key stakeholders in order to develop leadership and project management skills.
Throughout your internship, you will work side by side with experienced professionals to translate your classroom knowledge into real-world challenges in a dynamic business environment. Specifically, the intern will work with the team on the following:
Project Management/Administrative: Actively participate in project meetings from inception to delivery to understand deliverables, audience, timing, expected outcomes and goals. Ability to organize project into discrete tasks, estimating and managing time required to complete tasks.
- Attend project meetings with areas of responsibility, Manage biweekly integration and leadership calls, as well as the weekly e-mail update communication to the field. Assist in planning support for Field Corporate Relations Manger meeting as needed. Capture notes to keep team informed, develop basic project plan to effectively and efficiently track communication deliverables.
Writing: Assist in creating internal and external communications that are aligned with corporate priorities and messaging. Assist in developing creative messaging to effectively communicate with enterprise. Creative and persuasive writing skills to prepare print material in approved format to meet communication objectives for audience.
- Prepare key messages, documentation, toolkits,articles – solicit for feedback from key stakeholders and peers, manage revisions and legal approval, execute delivery through proper communication channel.
Building Relationships: Build and maintain relationships with peers in the field and Home Office.
- Schedule time with field support team and regional CR employees to understand scope of work and keep field team informed. Attend project meetings to align on needs/deliverables and keep lines of communication open.
Strategy & Planning: Assist in the execution and planning of communication strategies and the development of a basic tactical plan with focus on timeline and audience needs.
- Draft timeline with proposed deliverables.
Presentation to CR Leaders: Present accomplishments to senior CR leaders
- Prepare and present PowerPoint of projects and recommendations. Complete by end of internship.
Candidates should have a deep interest and general understanding of communications and public relations with demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills, the ability to assume responsibility, prioritize their work, and think creatively. Additional skills and experience include the following:
- Ability to assist in the execution and planning of communication strategies.
- Ability to develop a basic tactical plan with focus on timeline and audience needs
- Prior agency or corporate public relations internship experience is ideal
- Previous academic, extracurricular and/or work experience related to public relations is strongly preferred
We prefer candidates who are upper-level undergraduate students majoring in Journalism, English, Strategic Communications or Communications or first year graduate students with a minimum GPA of 3.0.