Founded in September of 2011, the Food Recovery Network (FRN) is the first national student-led food recovery movement working to bring food recovery programs to every college in the country.
Made up of 11 colleges and universities, FRN has already recovered over 120,000 pounds of food within its first year, and is rapidly expanding. FRN is an entirely student-founded, student-run nonprofit.
FRN is looking for a part-time Director of Communications who will work as part of the volunteer staff of students that lead the national organization.
The Director of Communication is responsible for transmitting organizational news and activities to all involved stakeholders. Given the chapter model of FRN, one of the key responsibilities of the Director of Communications is maintaining communication with each of the chapters, receiving updates about key activities, and passing this information on through media platforms. The Director of Communication reports to the Executive Director, and works closely with key staff members.
Commitment: The position will be approximately 10 hours of work per week, with flexible hours
– Update social media platforms several times a day with information about FRN national and
– Stay up-to-date with and disseminate other food recovery news
– Write monthly press releases
– Write weekly blog post for website
– Develop relationships with mainstream news outlets
– Work to develop long term communication plan
– Experience or interest in marketing, journalism, or nonprofit communications
– Experience or interest in social justice, and student organizing
– Excellent written and oral communication skills
– Comfort with social media, blog posts, etc.
– Experience working with food justice issues
– In a communications major/class
– Comfortable with public speaking
– Willing to commit for the entire year
– Experience with press releases
– Experience working in a nonprofit or startup
If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by
February 10, 2013.