Garden Gate magazine is in need of a seasoned magazine writer who’s flexible enough to communicate in many forms of media. We need someone who’s passionate about gardening and can inspire experienced gardeners as well as teach beginners in a friendly, conversational way. As a Garden Gate team member, you would work on many editorial products: our bimonthly magazine, special interest books, Web site, weekly email newsletter, how-to videos… and the list is growing!
- Propose, research and write about interesting topics in easy-to-access formats.
- Edit your own and your peers’ work.
- Work with our design staff to secure art and photography.
- Travel to offsite locations to coordinate photo shoots a few times a year.
- The ability to work on many different projects and platforms at the same time with minimal supervision.
- A skill for clearly and enthusiastically pitching an idea, then working with different departments to turn that idea into a well-thought-out and well-planned story.
- Previous garden magazine experience.
- A strong background in gardening (hands-on experience and/or education).
- Landscape design training and experience a plus.
- Experience at translating print content to digital.
- InDesign skills.
The salary and title for this position will be based on a candidate’s experience and skills.
Send a cover letter and resume to August Home Publishing Human Resources, 2200 Grand Avenue, Des Moines IA 50312 or apply online at www.augusthome.com