KCCI-TV, the award-winning CBS affiliate in Des Moines, is looking for part-time news reporters. See https://hearst.referrals.selectminds.com/television/jobs/reporter-3704 for more information and to apply.
Blank Park Zoo in Des Moines is looking for a social media intern for spring 2019. The position is unpaid. The application deadline is Nov. 2, 2018. For more information and how to apply, see https://www.blankparkzoo.com/contact-us/jobs/2019-spring-social-media-internship/
Intern, 2018-19 School Year
Reports To: Director of Business
Hours: 10-15 per week during business hours, with up to 5 hours during evenings/weekends for special events
Pay: $10 per hour. Willing to consider Summer hours or extending additional school year for the right candidate
- Assist with general office and administration tasks.
- Assist with Marketing duties, including social media posts, taking pictures/video, creating flyers, etc.
- Assist with event and concert planning and logistics, including attending events and planning meetings as appropriate.
- Assist with creation of board meeting agenda, attend and take meeting minutes for board meetings.
- Other Duties as assigned.
- College student majoring in Marketing, Business, Music or other applicable field.
- Interest in supporting the arts education and/or non-profit administration.
- Strong communicator, self starter.
- Ability to act as a professional, represent HYC at events and board meetings.
About Heartland Youth Choir
Dedicated to excellence, Heartland Youth Choir develops musicianship and builds character in youth through the rehearsal and performance of quality choral literature.
HYC serves over 200 children (Grades K-12) each year through various programming opportunities and is beginning its 16th season in 2018.
Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The American Civil Liberties Union of Iowa is hiring a part-time development assistant. The job is 15-20 hours/week. For more information and to apply, see https://www.aclu-ia.org/en/news/aclu-iowa-seeks-development-assistant.
Mother Jones Ben Bagdikian Fellowship Program
Mother Jones is currently accepting applications for its prestigious Ben Bagdikian Fellowship Program, located in San Francisco and Washington, DC. The editorial fellowship positions are full-time opportunities, starting in December and lasting six months, with the possibility of an additional six-month extension.
Tracking the connections between Russia and the Trump administration. Covering the elections. Sifting through public records and massive datasets. Reporting on private prisons from the inside. Mother Jones is breaking news and creating first-rate investigative journalism for over 9 million readers a month. Behind that award-winning journalism—and sometimes in front of it—are the journalists-in training who are deep in the trenches, making our reporting honest, meticulous, and bulletproof.
Mother Jones fellows dig deep into our investigations as fact-checkers, soak up research chops and digital skills, and learn how a nonprofit news business hums. They comb archives and spreadsheets while immersed full time in our collaborative projects. Mother Jones is better for it, and at the end of a six-month or yearlong intensive stint, MoJo fellows are armed with all the tools of the journalism trade—tools they’ve gotten paid to learn.
Fellows work closely with top-notch editors, penning pieces about a transgender inmate risking everything to protest mistreatment in jail; digging into Black Lives Matter’s influence on candidates for elected office; illuminating the transformation of the federal judiciary under Trump; and chronicling the aftermath of the President’s move to end DACA.
Fellowship positions include:
Applications for our December 2018 start-date are due October 1. Mother Jones believes that a diverse newsroom strengthens the quality of our workplace and reporting. We strongly encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. To learn more about the fellowship position, pay, and how to apply, visit our fellowship page at MotherJones.com.
Strategic Communication Fellow
Mother Jones: 2017 Magazine of the Year
American Equity insurance company in Des Moines is looking for a videography intern for summer 2019. For more information and to apply, see:
LifeServe Blood Center is seeking a Public Relations & Marketing Intern to help our lifesaving mission! This position is a great opportunity for a college student to gain experience across the spectrum of the marketing field in the nonprofit world and network with Marketing, PR and Recruitment professionals.
The intern’s responsibilities will consist of assisting the marketing and recruitment departments with various projects, including:
- Implementing recruitment and outreach strategies to grow LifeServe’s volunteer blood donor program through community outreach efforts and public relations initiatives.
- Assist with developing and deploying marketing tactics to reach new and/or current volunteer blood donors.
- Assist with public relations efforts, which include serving as a media spokesperson and community liaison to propel the visibility of the organization within the communities we serve.
- Develop and maintain relationships with media agencies and schedule, organize and manage special event blood drives.
- Assist with creating, writing and campaign execution of newsletters, press releases and marketing campaigns for the organization.
- Coordinate activities related to digital marketing.
These are daily functions of LifeServe’s marketing and recruitment teams and the intern will gain valuable real world experience through this opportunity.
Hours and schedule are flexible.
Projects / Learning Outcomes:
The intern will be supervised by a member of the marketing or recruitment team and will use what they’re learning in the classroom in a workplace environment.
There won’t be a boring day, as marketing is an exciting and fast-paced world! The intern will complete the internship and have a good grasp on what life in the marketing realm is like.
Please apply to Danielle West with your resume and cover letter.
Danielle West, PR & Marketing Manager
LifeServe Blood Center
Des Moines Donor Center
431 East Locust St.
Position Type: Internship
Desired Majors: Marketing, Journalism, Corporate Communication, Broadcasting, Graphic Design
Desired Class Levels: Sophomore, Junior, Senior
Salary Level: Unpaid
Job Function: Advertising/PR/Event Planning
Approximate Hours Per Week: Variable