Contact: Jarrett Peterson, Coordinator of Communications and Marketing, 515-289-3950.
To Apply: E-mail resume & cover letter to Jarrett.firstname.lastname@example.org by the date listed below.
Selection Process: Interview with Coordinator of Communications. Send resume to contact above.
- Internship 1 & 2: Spring Semester 2011. January to May. Apply by December 27.
- Internship 3 & 4: Summer 2011. June to mid-August. Apply by May 2.
- Internship 5 & 6: Fall 2011, mid-August to mid-December. Apply by July 1.
Hours: Can be flexibly scheduled Monday-Friday between 7:30-5:30 to accommodate student’s class schedule. Goal of 400 hours to accommodate some college/university internship requirements.
Location: Ankeny Community Schools District Office, 306 SW School Street, Ankeny, IA 50023
Number of Positions Available: Two per semester.
Compensation: Although unpaid, the coordinator is willing to structure the internship hours and paperwork to meet internship requirements of the college or university to receive credit if applicable.
Responsibilities: Under supervision of the Coordinator of Communications and Marketing, and dependent upon demonstrated skill in various areas, the intern will:
1. Develop communications timelines, strategies, and creative briefs for projects
2. Create drafts of communications identified by the Communications Coordinator. This may include interviewing staff members to gain information. Editing of subsequent drafts supervised by the Communications Coordinator. Communications may include:
- Internal staff e-mails
- Press releases & district web site “news” stories
- Communications to parents and the public
- New web pages (and editing of existing pages)
- Weekly staff e-newsletters, using information sent by various district departments
- Stories for the Ankeny Advance newsletter
- Other non-recurring communications
3. Proof-reading for grammar and punctuation
4. Upon final draft approval by the Communications Coordinator, assist in execution of:
- Posting Web pages and news stories
- Monitoring the Web site for functionality
- Formatting and distributing e-mails in templates
- Formatting print materials in InDesign and Word templates
- Collaboration with the print shop to print materials
5. Research of new Web tools and development of social media to integrate with the district Web site
6. Other duties as assigned (may include filing, researching, and clerical tasks)
Requirements: Strong writing skills. Preferably a student with a major or minor in journalism, marketing or some form of communications. Strong grammar and proof-reading skills. Strong research skills. Experience with Microsoft Word.
Preferred Skills: Strong journalistic interviewing skills. Experience with Microsoft Excel & PowerPoint. Experience with web site navigation/design or theory. Experience with social media such as Facebook, Twitter, HootSuite and other programs. Experience with InDesign and PhotoShop.