The No. 1 newspaper in the Rocky Mountain region, The Denver Post, is helping shape the futures of the next generation of journalists by offering a 10-week paid internship for the summer of 2014. To do so, we are looking for talented young people who want to make a difference.
Interns work in several parts of the newsroom — as news or features reporters, online producers, photographers or graphic artists or designers. Denver Post interns are paid about $517 per week (housing and transportation to Denver are not included).
We work with Dow Jones Newspaper Fund to identify candidates for copy editing, online and business reporting positions. Please apply directly to Dow Jones Newspaper Fund for these positions. For more information about the online, copy editing or business reporting internships, visit newsfund.org. We also work with The Sports Journalism Institute to select a sports reporter intern. For more information on the sports reporter internship, visit sportsjournalisminstitute.org.
- Applicants should have completed junior year in college before Summer 2014
- A demonstrated interest in print or online journalism (clips or portfolio)
- Reporting applicants should include no more than 5 clips
- Please include cover letter outlining which position most interests you
- List of three references
If you are a motivated college student looking to thrive in a newsroom atmosphere, please send your letter, clips or portfolio, resume and references to:
The Denver Post
101 W. Colfax Ave. Suite 600
Denver, CO 80202
For PHOTOGRAPHY applications, send a portfolio on a CD encased in a CD envelope.
For GRAPHICS or DESIGN, applicants may send portfolios of 8 1/2 x 11 photocopied designs, non-returnable tearsheets or CDs.
DEADLINE for RECEIVING applications is October 31, 2013. Applications received after that date will not be considered.
Do you want hands-on experience with event coordinating? Are you looking to boost your resume and support an incredible cause at the same time? The Move Project is looking for someone willing to spend 5-10 hours a week to help with a fundraising event. This year’s event will be a bicycle ride in the Greater Des Moines area to raise money for clean water in Africa. The perfect candidate would be able to help us with the following:
- Find sponsors for food/beverages
- Coordinate and recruit volunteers
- Social media management
- Registration details (shirt sizes, jersey orders, etc.)
- Flyer distribution
- Press release creation
We had our first event last year and it was a success! The date of this year’s ride is May 17, 2014. Join our crew to see an event happen from start to finish. Rest assured, you’ll get your hands wet in a bunch of different areas. Please provide a resume and cover letter if you’re interested in being The Water Ride intern to email@example.com by December 2013.
The Meyocks Group seeks a part-time public relations intern for our growing integrated brand communications agency. Must be a self-starter and have excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as a strong understanding of public relations.
You will be an integral part of the public relations team from day one, helping execute a variety of projects for several clients. Instead of making copies and fetching coffee, you will be doing what our PR staff does:
- Develop public relations materials, including news releases, media advisories, pitch letters, fact sheets, social media and website copy, etc.
- Develop and update media lists using CisionPoint
- Pitch stories and make follow-up calls to media encouraging news coverage
- Track coverage and create clip reports
Strong candidates will have prior PR experience, preferably with an agency. The internship will run from December through May, with approximately 15-20 hours/week. We are flexible on the start date if the right candidate has prior commitments.
Think you have what it takes? Send your resume, cover letter and two of your best writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes accepted until Oct. 25.
Our foundation has an amazing opportunity to help make a difference for children and families in the Country of Jamaica!
The Issa Trust Foundation is a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation. The mission of the Foundation is to provide a system of prevention, health promotion and education, community health improvement and other services to promote well-being and development for the people of Jamaica.
Opportunity for a motivated and experienced Marketing & Social Media fundraising Intern/volunteer to support its operations. You could be the person to make an impact on children and families in Jamaica by using your strong social media and marketing resource development background. The Marketing & Social Media Fundraising Intern/volunteer works closely with the President & CEO to support the fundraising and public relations activities required to further The Issa Trust Foundation’s message and fundraising efforts.
The Intern/volunteer must have strong social media experience, excellent written and verbal communication skills, be detail-oriented and have good computer skills.
This person would also have the opportunity to travel to Jamaica with our team to learn and build a portfolio and resume in addition to solid career experience.
- Research social media opportunities for fundraising and awareness
- Assist the President with various activities including preparing marketing and fundraising campaigns, creating newsletter using constant contact, and preparing news releases.
- Assist with social media, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter
The Issa Trust Foundation will work with Intern/volunteer to develop a schedule that works with their classes and/or employment.
Please email cover letter and resume to President & CEO, Diane Pollard at email@example.com. Position remains open until filled.
To learn more about the Issa Trust Foundation: www.issatrustfoundation.com
My Diabetes Home in Des Moines is looking to immediately hire a paid, part-time writing intern for the fall semester, with potential for continuation into the spring semester and the following summer. The qualified candidate must be a self-starter with strong communication skills, a can-do attitude, and a flexible schedule. Preferably, the candidate will be starting their junior or senior year in school while working toward a degree in communications, advertising, marketing, business, health sciences/pharmacy, or a related field. (Recent graduates may also be considered for the position as well.)
The writing intern will assist the Senior Editor with various projects, including (but of course not limited to):
- Newsletter outreach
- Article conception and production
- Improvements to the site/user engagement
- Social media
- Blog posts
To be considered, please send your resume and relevant work samples to:
A cover letter is recommended but not required. Applications will be accepted until August 23rd. No phone calls please.
My Diabetes Home is an all-in-one diabetes management platform that motivates members with diabetes to achieve better health. The suite of tools includes a personalized dashboard for each user with different places to enter and keep track of medications, blood sugar numbers, and other important health information. My Diabetes Home is dedicated to engaging and educating its members by providing extremely personalized, credible, and relevant information for each person with diabetes presented by passionate healthcare professionals.
The Science Center of Iowa & Blank IMAX Dome Theater (SCI) is looking for a passionate and driven Marketing & Graphic Design Intern for Summer 2013. This internship will work with SCI’s Marketing & Communications Coordinator and Graphic Design & Brand Manager.
This unpaid internship will assist in design projects used to communicate SCI programming and events. Projects may include:
- Update community calendars
- Assist in the creative copy and design of marketing projects including postcards, rack cards, posters, fliers and other print collateral as well as some web design projects
- Assist in the execution of marketing and promotions special events collateral
- Responsible for one medium scale exhibit design update project
Internship will be held from June 3 through August 30, 2013. (Flexibility based on school schedule.)
Monday – Friday; 9:00 am – 5:00 pm (20 hours per week)
Must be available some nights and weekends
- Must be a junior or senior enrolled in a college or university majoring in graphic design, communication with visual design specialty or other major with strong design/web design experience and coursework.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite. Web experience is helpful.
- Attentive to detail
- Flexible and capable of working on multiple projects with varying deadlines
- Comfortable working on a team
- Organized and manages time well
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to Christina Zink, Director of Communications & Membership at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 15, 2013.
This Kemin Industries Intern will be a working independently to improve the feel, consistency, accuracy and business impact of a number of documents within the organization. They will gain valuable experience in investigative reasoning, communication and editing, as well as research strategy and execution.
The intern should expect to gain real-world industry knowledge as well as a chance to learn from top executives at the company. This role involves solving problems, therefore creative thinking is essential. The intern will be expected – and encouraged– to try new ideas, question strategies, to “think outside the box”, and to act independently within the scope of their internship.
- Identify ways to strengthen feel and business impact of past documented experiences at Kemin.
- Focus documents to improve the clarity of the communication
- Efficiently and creatively identify and consolidate data from internal personnel.
- Edit documents for content, accuracy, and grammar
- Additional projects as assigned.
- Recent graduate or current student majoring or minoring in Journalism, English, Political Science, or History who is seeking a challenging and fun internship experience.
- Ability to work at least 25 hours per week.
- Ability to be highly organized, assertive, and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Background or experience in science, business and/or editing desirable.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and especially comfortable asking questions.
- Proficient with PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
A flexible work schedule can be arranged for currently-enrolled students.
http://www.kemin.com/about/careers/career-opportunities/ – This is job #2013-2075.
The following examples are intended only as illustrations of the duties of the internship. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude these tasks from the position if the work is similar, related to or a logical assignment of the position. The following percentages are an estimate of time spent in each area.
- Assist with duties related to numerous fundraising events including the Gourmet Gala in Iowa City, the Blazers, Bling & Blue Jeans Ball, the Jim Jordan Memorial Golf Outing and the Truck Convoy.
- Research grant opportunities.
- Complete tasks related to fall Polar Plunges.
- Work with the Director of Development on Law Enforcement Torch Run events.
- Assist with securing donations for Cargill Night at the Ballpark fundraiser in Cedar Rapids.
- Assist with athletic competitions taking place across the state.
- Assist with the computerized volunteer registration program (VSYS) – includes creating a system to organize information related to volunteers from Farm Bureau, Principal Financial Group, Wells Fargo and other companies to coordinate with grant requirements
- Write press releases and feature stories in addition to support for daily media clips
- Assist with research projects, editing and media outreach
- Schedule and post information on SOIA social media channels
- Senior level student with experience in fundraising, communications, journalism, public relations and sports
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) in addition to social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Hoot Suite)
- Experience with Adobe Design Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) and ability to use AP style
- Passion for sports and the ideals of the Special Olympics Movement
- Excellent communication and human relations skills, strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Nontraditional hours maybe required (including some work on weekends)
- Demonstrated ability to work in fast paced multidisciplinary team environment.
Application deadline is midnight May 10. Submit resume and cover letter (addressed to Dana Van Roekel, Special Olympics Iowa, CFO) electronically in PDF format to email@example.com
The internship will be completed in accordance with the policies and procedures of the intern’s academic institution. Desired start date is the week of May 20, 2013, and will conclude once the required university hours are met. Specific dates and office hours TBD once an offer has been made to the candidate.
The Bloomfield Democrat seeks a summer intern who can write news, sports, features and take photos.
This position will give you wide experience in all facets of news: print, online and cable TV. Minimum wage, 40 hours per week, some night and weekend assignments.
The Bloomfield Democrat has won many state news awards over the years and is recognized as one of Iowa’s top weekly newspapers. It is innovative and not afraid to try new things. The Bloomfield Democrat had Iowa’s first newspaper web site.
Bloomfield is a progressive, friendly town near the Missouri border. Send resume to Publisher Gary Spurgeon, firstname.lastname@example.org or P.O. Box 19, Bloomfield, IA 52537.
Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation, a private, statewide conservation non-profit is looking for a communications intern for this summer that would possibly extend through the 2013-2014 school year.
The communications intern writes news releases and magazine articles about INHF projects, assists with special events (like our annual Hagie Heritage Award), writes blog posts, updates our website and social media, and much more. Depending on organizational needs and intern skills, he/she may also assist with public events, photography and occasional graphic design.
This position usually goes to journalism majors (news, PR, etc.), and strong writing skills are required. Applicants should also have taken some key writing classes (like news writing and/or magazine writing) and have writing experience at a college publication and/or previous internship.
We’re looking for students who are:
- Attentive to detail
- Flexible and capable of working on multiple projects with varying deadlines
- Comfortable working on a team
- Organized and manage time well
There is a preference for applicants who can take the position for more than one semester, but one-semester applicants are also considered. Communications interns work in our downtown Des Moines office and must have their own transportation to and from work. The intern should be able to work a minimum of 12 hours/week during the spring and fall semesters and 35-40 hours/week during the summer. This a paid position at $9.50/hour.
To apply for the internship, please email Laura Johnson, Communications Specialist, at email@example.com the following. Deadline is April 5th.
- One-page cover letter
- 4-6 writing samples (published clips are ideal, but classroom work is also accepted)
- A copy (official or unoffical) of your transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation, with at least one being written by a professor in your major. The letters may be included in your application or sent separately by the writer. Include reference contact information.
Feel free to call or email in advance if you have questions!