The Science Center of Iowa & Blank IMAX Dome Theater (SCI) is looking for a passionate and driven Marketing & Graphic Design Intern for Summer 2013. This internship will work with SCI’s Marketing & Communications Coordinator and Graphic Design & Brand Manager.
This unpaid internship will assist in design projects used to communicate SCI programming and events. Projects may include:
- Update community calendars
- Assist in the creative copy and design of marketing projects including postcards, rack cards, posters, fliers and other print collateral as well as some web design projects
- Assist in the execution of marketing and promotions special events collateral
- Responsible for one medium scale exhibit design update project
Internship will be held from June 3 through August 30, 2013. (Flexibility based on school schedule.)
Monday – Friday; 9:00 am – 5:00 pm (20 hours per week)
Must be available some nights and weekends
- Must be a junior or senior enrolled in a college or university majoring in graphic design, communication with visual design specialty or other major with strong design/web design experience and coursework.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite. Web experience is helpful.
- Attentive to detail
- Flexible and capable of working on multiple projects with varying deadlines
- Comfortable working on a team
- Organized and manages time well
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to Christina Zink, Director of Communications & Membership at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 15, 2013.
Published April 29, 2013
This Kemin Industries Intern will be a working independently to improve the feel, consistency, accuracy and business impact of a number of documents within the organization. They will gain valuable experience in investigative reasoning, communication and editing, as well as research strategy and execution.
The intern should expect to gain real-world industry knowledge as well as a chance to learn from top executives at the company. This role involves solving problems, therefore creative thinking is essential. The intern will be expected – and encouraged– to try new ideas, question strategies, to “think outside the box”, and to act independently within the scope of their internship.
- Identify ways to strengthen feel and business impact of past documented experiences at Kemin.
- Focus documents to improve the clarity of the communication
- Efficiently and creatively identify and consolidate data from internal personnel.
- Edit documents for content, accuracy, and grammar
- Additional projects as assigned.
- Recent graduate or current student majoring or minoring in Journalism, English, Political Science, or History who is seeking a challenging and fun internship experience.
- Ability to work at least 25 hours per week.
- Ability to be highly organized, assertive, and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Background or experience in science, business and/or editing desirable.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and especially comfortable asking questions.
- Proficient with PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
A flexible work schedule can be arranged for currently-enrolled students.
– This is job #2013-2075.
Published April 18, 2013
The following examples are intended only as illustrations of the duties of the internship. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude these tasks from the position if the work is similar, related to or a logical assignment of the position. The following percentages are an estimate of time spent in each area.
- Assist with duties related to numerous fundraising events including the Gourmet Gala in Iowa City, the Blazers, Bling & Blue Jeans Ball, the Jim Jordan Memorial Golf Outing and the Truck Convoy.
- Research grant opportunities.
- Complete tasks related to fall Polar Plunges.
- Work with the Director of Development on Law Enforcement Torch Run events.
- Assist with securing donations for Cargill Night at the Ballpark fundraiser in Cedar Rapids.
- Assist with athletic competitions taking place across the state.
- Assist with the computerized volunteer registration program (VSYS) – includes creating a system to organize information related to volunteers from Farm Bureau, Principal Financial Group, Wells Fargo and other companies to coordinate with grant requirements
- Write press releases and feature stories in addition to support for daily media clips
- Assist with research projects, editing and media outreach
- Schedule and post information on SOIA social media channels
- Senior level student with experience in fundraising, communications, journalism, public relations and sports
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) in addition to social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Hoot Suite)
- Experience with Adobe Design Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) and ability to use AP style
- Passion for sports and the ideals of the Special Olympics Movement
- Excellent communication and human relations skills, strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Nontraditional hours maybe required (including some work on weekends)
- Demonstrated ability to work in fast paced multidisciplinary team environment.
Application deadline is midnight May 10. Submit resume and cover letter (addressed to Dana Van Roekel, Special Olympics Iowa, CFO) electronically in PDF format to email@example.com
The internship will be completed in accordance with the policies and procedures of the intern’s academic institution. Desired start date is the week of May 20, 2013, and will conclude once the required university hours are met. Specific dates and office hours TBD once an offer has been made to the candidate.
Published March 19, 2013
Internships , Newspaper
The Bloomfield Democrat seeks a summer intern who can write news, sports, features and take photos.
This position will give you wide experience in all facets of news: print, online and cable TV. Minimum wage, 40 hours per week, some night and weekend assignments.
The Bloomfield Democrat has won many state news awards over the years and is recognized as one of Iowa’s top weekly newspapers. It is innovative and not afraid to try new things. The Bloomfield Democrat had Iowa’s first newspaper web site.
Bloomfield is a progressive, friendly town near the Missouri border. Send resume to Publisher Gary Spurgeon, firstname.lastname@example.org or P.O. Box 19, Bloomfield, IA 52537.
Published March 12, 2013
Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation, a private, statewide conservation non-profit is looking for a communications intern for this summer that would possibly extend through the 2013-2014 school year.
The communications intern writes news releases and magazine articles about INHF projects, assists with special events (like our annual Hagie Heritage Award), writes blog posts, updates our website and social media, and much more. Depending on organizational needs and intern skills, he/she may also assist with public events, photography and occasional graphic design.
This position usually goes to journalism majors (news, PR, etc.), and strong writing skills are required. Applicants should also have taken some key writing classes (like news writing and/or magazine writing) and have writing experience at a college publication and/or previous internship.
We’re looking for students who are:
- Attentive to detail
- Flexible and capable of working on multiple projects with varying deadlines
- Comfortable working on a team
- Organized and manage time well
There is a preference for applicants who can take the position for more than one semester, but one-semester applicants are also considered. Communications interns work in our downtown Des Moines office and must have their own transportation to and from work. The intern should be able to work a minimum of 12 hours/week during the spring and fall semesters and 35-40 hours/week during the summer. This a paid position at $9.50/hour.
To apply for the internship, please email Laura Johnson, Communications Specialist, at email@example.com the following. Deadline is April 5th.
- One-page cover letter
- 4-6 writing samples (published clips are ideal, but classroom work is also accepted)
- A copy (official or unoffical) of your transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation, with at least one being written by a professor in your major. The letters may be included in your application or sent separately by the writer. Include reference contact information.
Feel free to call or email in advance if you have questions!
Published February 5, 2013
Graphic Design , Internships
Woodsmith/ShopNotes magazines are looking for a graphic design intern to gain valuable experience in the magazine world. This internship has flexible start/end dates. This unique opportunity offers experience in overall layout and design of national publications (print & digital), Special Interest Publications and websites. The person would also be involved with photo shoots, planning meetings and the editing process.
The ideal candidate will be a junior or senior in college and working towards a degree in graphic design. A thorough understanding and working knowledge of Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop is strongly desired. Any experience with digital publishing based software (i.e. Mag+ or equivalent), in addition to previous graphic design or web experience is a plus!
Send a cover letter and resume to August Home Publishing Human Resources, 2200 Grand Avenue, Des Moines IA 50312 or apply online.
Published January 23, 2013
The West Des Moines Community Schools (WDMCS) is a K-12 public school district in the Des Moines metro area. From Olympic gold medalists to award-winning authors, the WDMCS has a history of excellence both inside and outside the classroom. We want you to help us tell our story!
We need an enterprising individual to find the great stories in our classrooms and help us share them with our community. Duties include writing blog posts, news items and feature articles for our website and for submission to local print media; taking photographs; writing news releases; researching marketing strategies; and assisting with communications projects as assigned. This is a highly mobile job assignment and access to transportation is necessary.
If you are interested in applying for this part-time, non-paid internship opportunity, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be taken until position is filled. Pre-employment drug screening required.
Preservation Iowa is seeking a communications intern for a semester-long unpaid internship position.
Preservation Iowa is a 501c3 non profit that is dedicated to Historic Preservation throughout the state of Iowa. We are transitioning from mostly print communication to electronic communication and need an intern to design or assist in a layout for an electronic newsletter, housed on Vertical Response. Also included in this internship is the formatting of templates on Vertical Response for our various types of communication with our members. In addition, we need help organizing and identifying targeted groups in our email mailing list.
This communications internship provides the opportunity to prioritize graphically the many modes of communication we provide every quarter to our members, combine these various methods of delivery and present in a tidy package.
There will be other opportunities during the internship to work on self identified projects if the intern desires. This position is highly autonomous, and work will be done primarily online.
Email Naura Heiman Godar at email@example.com to apply.
Published December 7, 2012
Location: Wright Service Corp., 5930 Grand Avenue, West Des Moines, IA 50266 (across from DMACC)
Schedule: Negotiable, 10-15 hours/week, January through May with the possibility of continuing into the summer and/or fall semester
Pay: Hourly, to be discussed at interview
Responsibilities: The marketing and communications intern will work with marketing and communications and other executive, operations and administrative staff to support Wright Service Corp. and its family of companies, including Wright Tree Service, Wright Outdoor Solutions, CN Utility Consulting, Terra Spectrum Technologies, and Sustainable Environmental Consultants, with business locally and nationwide.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Coordinating the annual awards banquet, regional and national tradeshows, and local promotional events.
- Writing content for corporate websites, social media, newsletters, direct mail, and other communication deliverables for both internal and external audiences. Some photo and video content creation opportunities may be available.
- Researching and distributing information about companies’ major competitors.
- Organizing the development and submission of advertisements.
- Maintaining internal documents, including measurement reports, market research data, and organization charts.
- Researching public relations, tradeshow, sponsorship and other marketing opportunities.
- Enrollment or interest in a Communications, Marketing or other related degree program.
- Willingness and ability to learn about the environmental services industries in which our companies operate.
- Solid writing skills.
- Strong organizational skills; the ability to work on multiple tasks and projects concurrently.
- Strong references.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, your resume, and one writing sample by December 21 to Brescia Berg, marketing and communications manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Published November 26, 2012
Broadcast , Internships , Newspaper
The Gazette and KCRG-TV9 in Cedar Rapids (parent company Iowa SourceMedia Group) are seeking an intern with strong multimedia skills to help in political and legislative coverage of statewide interest at the Iowa Statehouse during the legislative session. This intern would help gather spot news stories and assist staff in producing enterprise reports for print, TV and online news products. The paid internship is based with the legislative team in Des Moines and runs the course of the session, which begins in January and runs through the Spring.
- Preparing clearly written, accurate content on deadline for digital, print and broadcast platforms on both spot news
- Covering meetings as well as generating enterprise story ideas
- Gathers and edits audio and/or video for use online or for broadcast
- Uses social media to convey stories and engage the audience
Applications are due by Dec. 5. A resume with references, cover letter and work sample should be included in the application.
Applicants should be:
- Journalism majors
- Have strong multimedia and writing skills
- Available 20-30 hours per week
If you’re interested in applying, submit materials to:
Zack Kucharski, senior manager of newsroom operations
The Cedar Rapids Gazette and KCRG-TV9
P.O. Box 511
Cedar Rapids, IA 52406