The Desert Sun in Palm Springs, Calif., has an opening for a digital wizard who can deliver multimedia packages to our mobile and tablet platforms at MyDesert, MyCoachella and DigitalNatives. This producer customizes and creates unique content for iOS and Android environments, brings urgency to breaking news, grows social engagement and collaborates with reporters and editors on special projects. Candidates who have two years of professional digital experience should send a cover letter, work samples and a resume to Executive Editor Greg Burton at email@example.com.
Job Title: Web Producer
Department: Information Center
Reports To: Executive Editor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Prepared By: Senior Editor of Digital
Prepared Date: April 2012
This is a position that relies heavily on your knowledge of your multimedia skills, your news judgment and your ability to engage audiences through social media. You serve as the digital point person at night, working with the night editor and reporters in keeping all digital platforms up-to-date and fresh using local and wire copy, video, photos, social media and other multimedia content. Urgency, especially during breaking news situations, is essential, and you will be sent into the field to gather news (via text, photos and video) when necessary. You also will be asked to provide a strong layer of digital engagement through social network outlets, primarily Twitter and Facebook. At the end of your shift, you will be charged with “turning over” mydesert.com and ensuring online readers have an informative and engaging experience until the morning shift reporter and editors take over maintenance of the site.
KEY RESULT AREAS include the following:
Beat expertise and enterprise development. You are responsible for learning and understanding the issues that are important and interesting to readers on our different digital platforms. You will be asked to work with the night editor to keep all digital platforms fresh by selecting local and wire stories to highlight, editing and posting multimedia content (including wire and local photo galleries and videos), reporting on developing and breaking local stories, and engaging with readers on social media channels. You will work with the digital team to develop new skills to advance all digital platforms.
Planning: Coordinates with editors daily to identify and package the most relevant and engaging content for readers at night and in the early morning.
Training: You will work in concert with the Digital Editor, Photo Editor, Multimedia Editor and others to provide training as needed for the staff of the Online Department, the Information Center, the non-daily publications and other newspaper personnel.
Administration: Monitors and analyzes digital platform usage reports to identify content interests. This can be done mostly through Site Catalyst updates and tools provided by social media sites. We must always know the traffic trends related to mydesert.com and – as much as possible – our competitive sites in the region.
Quality control: Responsible for ensuring accuracy, attractiveness, depth and sophistication of digital platforms at night. Ensures clarity of site design through packaging stories on platforms as well as power of headlines written using SEO best practices. Practices Associated Press style and uses correct grammar and spelling. Corrects all mistakes. Uses checklist and as the last person in the Information Center to touch mydesert.com, double-checks all work.
Readership goals/core values. Supports the newspaper’s digital goals, strategic targets and high journalistic standards including the Principles of Ethical Conduct.
Safety: Maintains a safe and clean work environment. Follows safety regulations, actively contributes to work safety. Promotes adherence to all safety and environmental policies and guidelines for fellow employees.
Customer Service: Promptly follows up on complaints, questions, and concerns that come to the department; responds to customer needs in a diplomatic, courteous, timely and efficient manner. Develops and promotes teamwork and cooperation among fellow employees.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: This position no has supervisory responsibilities.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree along with experience in digital media. Solid video shooting and editing skills. Solid reporting and copy editing skills and strong knowledge of journalistic principles. Strong working knowledge of Internet tools, trends and technology. Basic working knowledge of HTML and CSS. Strong grasp of social media best practices and trends. Strong working knowledge of search engine optimization practices.
LANGUAGE SKILLS Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedures. Ability to effectively present information, including facilitating training programs and responding to questions from internal and external customers.
Is it important to this position that the incumbent be able to communicate fluently in English? Yes_X_ No___. If yes, please explain: Position requires written and verbal communication given and directed in English. Incumbent must be able to communicate fluently with all levels of management within the company.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions and percentages.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to assist in project management.
REQUIRED TECHNICAL SKILLS/CERTIFICATES, LICENSES: Valid California drivers’ license and proof of automobile liability insurance required. Able to code in basic HTML. Is comfortable with Mac and Windows computer platforms.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Flexibility in work schedules and work hours is required to meet deadlines; this includes weekends, holidays and evenings.
CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION: This position has access to the following confidential information – web-based content management systems and web-based company statistical analysis information.
COMPANY FUNDS: This person does not have access to company funds.
TO APPLY: Email Executive Editor Greg Burton, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Des Moines Social Club (DMSC), a non-profit organization, uses the arts as a catalyst to create unprecedented community engagement. DMSC is a multi-use facility in downtown Des Moines that focuses on the development and retention of local talent. The facility consists of an art gallery (Instinct Gallery), Blackbox Theatre, and classroom space that is all available for rent by the community. DMSC seeking an intern to help maintain and develop their website. This is a part-time summer internship without pay. However, there is an opportunity to be held on a retainer at the conclusion of the internship.
Please send resume to Jessica Miller at email@example.com by May 1st, 2011.
Company: BirdDog (Industry People Group, Inc), 2900 100th St. #108, Urbandale, Iowa 5032
Min. Yrs. experience: Entry Level
Education: Some College Course work
Salary Range: Min: $10 Max: $12 Type:Hourly
Company Information: BirdDog is a service of Industry People Group, Inc., a company with arich 14 year historyof providing specialty job boards and technology-based recruiting solutions to specialized Industries like Mechanical, Electrical, & Plumbing. Continue reading
In this mid-level web development position, you would collaborate with a highly creative team of graphic designers, copywriters and other marketing communications professionals to turn concepts into live websites and other online executions.
You would be a “Jack of all web trades.” This means that you would take copy, static designs and ideas and translate them into HTML, CSS and client-side and/or server-side scripts that bring the team’s vision to life on the web. You would help develop requirements, create and manage project timelines and advise on resource requirements. And, you would help agency team members and clients stay on top of the latest web-related technology and trends in order to ensure that clients’ integrated marketing communication efforts make the best use of online opportunities.
You would share your ideas – and collaborate with a team to help the agency deliver on its promise to help clients build brands in brave, beyond-the expected ways.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and an appreciation for the creative process
- Expert-level understanding of basic web development technologies like HTML and CSS
- Strong attention to detail and project management capabilities
- First-hand experience with several websites or web projects, including all phases of a project’s lifecycle: requirements definition, design, development, server configuration, testing, launch, and ongoing monitoring/reporting and maintenance
- Ability to communicate web-speak internally at the agency and with our clients
- First-hand experience ensuring compatibility with multiple operating systems and browsers
- Ability to handle the pressure of deadlines and multiple simultaneous projects – and have fun at the same time
- Bonus: Familiarity with several client-side and server-side scripting technologies, database technologies (double bonus points if it’s PL/SQL), and/or mobile application development
- Another bonus: Familiarity with Google Analytics or similar reporting tools
The Meyocks Group, based in West Des Moines, Iowa, is an integrated branding agency that grows brand relationships more effectively through ideas that go beyond the expected. The agency offers counsel and services in the areas of branding, advertising, public relations, direct/relationship marketing, Web development and package design.
The Meyocks Group specializes in the food, agriculture and health categories.
The Meyocks Group
6800 Lake Dr. STE 150
West Des Moines, IA 50266
Type: Full-time, benefited
Experience: Mid-Senior level
Industries: Marketing and Advertising
Have a gig you’d like the Drake community to know about? Click here
Reports to: Web Director
Hours: 20 hrs./week during normal business hours
PURPOSE OF POSITION
To learn the skills necessary to design and build Web sites for Stelter Web clients
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The individual who holds the internship must be able to perform these fundamental duties with or without assistance of a reasonable accommodation. Other duties will be assigned as necessary. List is in order of importance.
- Customer Service
- Provides exceptional customer service to potential and existing clients as well as internal and external Stelter Company employees.
- Works courteously as a team player with all Stelter staff.
- Communicates clearly and professionally with all staff and clients by telephone, in writing and in person. Maintains records, electronic (ePace) and paper, of all client contacts and pertinent information within established SOP guidelines.
- Resolves problems professionally. Accommodates clients’ wishes, within our defined parameters, efficiently, effectively, and with the utmost courtesy.
- Learn and use the Vignette content management tool. Build and maintain Stelter Web clients’ sites using conventional Web design tools within deadlines and according to standard operating procedures.
- Use the “Stelter style” of composition, technicalities of form, Web specifications and related matters in preparing site content. Knowledge of and utilization of Stelter code numbers in all applicable areas, including, but not limited to, paperwork and computer system.
- Work with the Web director to prioritize own workload to achieve the greatest possible customer satisfaction within the deadlines provided. Manage the workload to be organized and productive.
- Maintain records and work flow according to standard operating procedures.
- Keep materials in production folders current.
- Keep current on design techniques and offer suggestions for continued enhancement of Stelter publications. Develop awareness of nonprofit industry and our competition.
- Keeps supervisor apprised of progress, problems, and relevant issues.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Command of style rules associated with print and Web media. Familiarity with company operating procedures, comprehensive understanding of production.
- Must work comfortably in production of Web-related products.
- Attention to detail.
- Must communicate clearly, both orally and visually, with supervisors, clients, account managers, other designers, freelancers.
- Must work effectively with all internal staff and outside suppliers, be professional, be a team player, yet be innovative; able to take constructive criticism and direction.
- Must make decisions as to appropriateness of design components of each particular Stelter product. In the absence of the Web Director, must be able to work together with department leadership to make any decisions necessary.
- Must, at all times, set a good example to all staff members, as a mature professional, willing to help others when needed and show the willingness to do whatever is necessary to get the job done.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Working toward BA in Visual Communications, Web Design or equivalent experience
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential duties.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit or stand for an extended length of time. The employee should be able to lift 30 pounds or more.
- Successful completion of a drug screening within 48 hours of acceptance of an employment offer.
Submit resume and design samples to: Michelle Petersen
Have a gig you’d like the Drake community to know about? Click here.
Application deadline: March 31, 2010
Location: West Des Moines, IA
Schedule: Full-Time/40 hours per week
Job Summary: The Developer will be responsible for web and application development projects to help support our clients’ social media strategies. Projects will be web-based, though mobile applications may include those created for the mobile-optimized web as well as native phone applications (iPhone, BlackBerry, Android).
The ideal candidate has:
- strong leadership, interpersonal, and written/verbal communication skills.
- flexibility and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, diverse environment.
- a passion for web development and new technologies.
- a curiosity for social media strategies and how to apply these to our clients’ business.
- enthusiasm to learn and work in a team environment.
- Preferred majors include: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Information Management & Technology, Technical Communication, Marketing, and Graphic (Web) Design
- Prior history in developing for the web and/or mobile is preferred
- Knowledge of WordPress, ExpressionEngine, Drupal, Joomla, FBML is a plus
- Should have experience with PHP, MySQL, Ruby on Rails, .NET, or similar programming languages
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include “Developer Application” in the subject line.
Have a gig you’d like the Drake community to know about? Click here.
Primary goal for this position is to create and modify existing new image, video and audio to interact with users.
You’ll be assisting the web developer to create a professional looking website.
Competitive compensation commensurate with knowledge and experience level.
- Macromedia Flash, Adobe Fireworks, Video editing software, HTML, CSS, Adobe Photoshop
Experience and Skills:
- Must have experienced with capture videos, graphics and digital photography
- Meet development objectives and deadlines
- Converting video to Flash for web video presentations
- Must be creative with strong written and verbal communication skills
The requires is a Plus:
-Macromedia Flash with Action Script 2.0 and higher
Permanent Placement – Iowa Region
Robert Half Technology
801 Grand Avenue, Suite 2950
Des Moines, Iowa 50309
Tel: 515-282-6876 / Shoretel 428221
Have a gig you’d like the Drake community to know about? Click here.
BAI, a leading provider of services and products to the retail banking industry, seeks a Microsoft-centric Web Development Program enrollee or graduate who is technically savvy, self-motivated, and a conceptual thinker. Candidates should have a broad understanding of front-end coding, object oriented programming and design, and should welcome the opportunity to gain experience using Telerik RAD controls and Telerik’s Sitefinity content management platform, both powerful tools for accelerated creation of world-class Web 2.0 applications. Under the guidance and supervision of our Web Team, responsibilities include:
… Analyze and design Web components and Web pages to fulfill specified requirements
… Create new Web components, Web pages, and sections of Web sites
… Implement user validation controls and error handling
… Deploy web pages and applications to internal and external web sites
… Unit test web code before deployment
Technical: experience in Web Development, including:
… Experience with ASP.NET using C# (strongly preferred) or VB.NET
… Debugging, troubleshooting and problem analysis/resolution skills
… At minimum, exposure to and fluent familiarity with the concepts of Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) and object-oriented design (OOD)
… Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel
Soft Skills: we seek candidates with prior work experience that demonstrates:
… Strong communication skills with the ability to listen, ask the right questions, and make suggestions as appropriate
… Proven success in meeting deadlines
… Ability to absorb background business information
… Ability to organize, prioritize, collaborate, and apply a keen attention to detail
The ideal candidate will have prior experience in one or more of the following:
… Experience with third-party software/services web site integrations
… Knowledge of DHTML, PDF, and/or Flash
… Developing, securing and utilizing Web Services (e.g. via SOAP)
… Experience with SQL Server (T-SQL), relational database design and data manipulation
… Financial services industry knowledge
In addition to internship hourly compensation, the following benefits make this a compelling opportunity for the right candidate:
… The opportunity to make a difference via the impact of your contributions
… Hands-on experience in the functional design and programming of new Web sites
… Exposure to Web 2.0 concepts and paradigms including Social Media and Ajax controls
… Exposure to best practice project management techniques
… Structured feedback on your professional strengths and areas for growth during and at the conclusion of your internship
You would work as part of our Web Team in our Loop location near the corner of LaSalle and Monroe. Our location is easily accessible from all El lines and many bus lines serving the Loop.
Contact Human Resources Manager Jenee Roosa at email@example.com.
Have a gig you’d like to submit? Click here.
We are a bootstrapped startup looking for a skilled software engineer experienced in web design, programming and development. Our working environment will be collaborative, relaxed, positive and encouraging. This is an independent contractor position for local applicants only. We are located in the Western Suburbs within walking distance of the Metra train station.
Our Perfect Fit:
We are looking for an individual who is passionate about starting a website from the ground up. He or she will be an experienced web developer who will work closely with the team to take our existing comprehensive site plan and create a final product that is engaging, creative and fresh. Our small team of enthusiastic and entrepreneurial-minded individuals is looking for a driven professional who is eager to provide unique ideas and valuable insight to the overall structure of the website. The candidate should expect to work in-house with other team members and will possess at least a basic appreciation for the fitness industry. This individual will be hardworking and motivated. He or she will be experienced in Content Management Systems such as Joomla, Drupal, WordPress, or Movable Type. Our perfect candidate will have an entrepreneurial spirit and will be willing to take on the risks and rewards of an exciting internet start up.
- As our web developer, you will assist the team with website strategy, vision and architecture. In addition, you will:
- Plan, design, and build a highly scalable, complex and robust technical web 2.0 infrastructure using open source technologies
- Maintain a working knowledge of current and emerging technologies and solutions
- Design and development of database using MySQL
- Lead and operate our technical roadmap and collaborate with team members on technological vision and strategy
- Manage and maintain production environment, while ensuring website usability, compatibility, and sophistication
- Handle basic system administration and interaction with hosting provider
- Possess recent knowledge and experience in a start-up through creating and building a comprehensive and architecturally sound website
- Veteran programmer who will dedicate their time and energy in order to craft a quality product
- Demonstrate an innate pride in his or her work and have no reservations about taking on multiple challenges
- Experience and examples of leading development projects
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Required Technical Knowledge:
- 5+ years of web development and support
- 3+ years of open-source web development experience
- Outstanding knowledge of Content Management Systems, specifically Joomla, Drupal, WordPress, or Movable Type.
- HTML/XHTML markup using CSS
- Strong knowledge of relational database design
- Excellent object-oriented design and development skills
- Experience using SVN
Nice-to-have Technical Knowledge:
- Flash or Flex experience
- Experience with CodeIgniter
- Experience developing and maintaining an image server
Compensation and Benefits:
- Commensurate with experience
- Please reply with your cover letter, resume, and salary history, along with examples of previous websites you have developed to Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Final candidates will be asked to provide three references.
Have a gig you’d like the Drake community to know about? Click here.