The SJMC is creating new promotional material for the School this summer, and I’m looking for a few students who would be willing to participate in a focus group to help us gather information for that project. All you’d have to do is be willing to meet for an hour to talk about why you chose Drake SJMC and your experiences here. AND you’d get a $10 Target gift card for your trouble!
The focus groups will be held:
- Monday, April 28, 6-7 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 29, 6-7 p.m.
If you would like to participate, send me an email letting me know:
- Which date you are available
- Your year and major (so we get a variety of perspectives)
— Kathleen Richardson
School of Journalism and Mass Communication
Experience Relays from behind the (media) scenes–
Drake’s Athletic Communications is offering SJMC students the opportunity to work next to credentialed media and elite athletes at the mixed zone where you will help gather and transcribe quotes from the winners of every event. This is an opportunity to:
–see how the media works (especially in a herd type setting) and how established professionals craft questions to get the response they need for a story when they may only have the chance to ask one question,
–observe and interact with athletes who may be at either extreme of the postrace emotional spectrum,
–be active participants in these interviews especially for some of the high school winners.
Sign up for 2-3 hour shifts (or all day if you’re interested) for Thursday night, all day Friday and all day Saturday.
Sign up sheet is on Carlyn Crowe’s office door at 120 Meredith. Sign up by EOD on Monday 4/21. This is a great opportunity for all SJMC majors!
Nexstar Broadcasting Group has a wealth of positions currently posted on their site at
including several positions at WOI-TV in Des Moines, and others in the area/region. Full- and part-time positions included.
The Markham Group – a Public Relations Firm in Little Rock, Ark., handling public affairs, campaigns and event management— is looking for driven and intelligent individuals who are passionate about education and helping the future of children.
Positions available for: May 15– Early September 2014
Job Responsibilities include:
- Aiding in developing and carrying out campaign programs.
- Recruiting volunteers through direct volunteer recruitment.
- Campaign management including, phone banks, material prep, event organizing.
- Event organizing including research, tactics development and material prep.
Skills and Experience
- Ability to recruit volunteers and enthusiasm to motivate people.
- Strong communication skills including technological aptitude.
- Understanding of education system and the Internet’s role in competitive education.
- Strong work ethic and commitment to travel.
- Preference for prior campaign experience, including all aspects of field campaigns.
A great experience to break into campaign work for motivated, rising college seniors or recent college graduates.
Salary will fall in line with experience
Submit cover letter and resume to Elsa Becker at firstname.lastname@example.org *Note: Elsa is an SJMC alum and specifically contacted Drake for recruitment. Feel free to contact her with any questions.
The Markham Group
Train to be a grassroots organizer (non-paid internship). Provide support for the Supporter Engagement and Public Policy Department. Be a part of a dynamic team that builds the political proficiency of Planned Parenthood of the Heartland.
1. Participate in trainings and skill building exercises on the theory, practice and ideology Planned Parenthood of the Heartland employs in its grassroots organizing program.
2. Cross train and shadow in other areas of Planned Parenthood of the Heartland to develop strong organizational knowledge.
3. Provide support to the Supporter Engagement and Public Policy Department. These duties may include, but are not limited to:
- a. Recruit and train volunteers
- b. Assist with phone programs
- c. Staff activist recruitment and outreach events
- d. Input and track departmental data
- e. Participate in departmental meetings as requested
- f. Assist in the development and implementation of strategies to recruit, educate and mobilize the activists in the community
- g. Assist with electoral work
4. Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
A commitment to reproductive justice, women’s health, and gender equity is required. Must demonstrate a strong desire to protect reproductive choice through local advocacy, activism, and organizing. Experience in direct sales/marketing, political campaigns, or social justice volunteer work preferred.
Ability to maintain confidentiality of all Planned Parenthood business and activities on and off of the job. Primary functions take place in Des Moines. 10 – 12 hours/week expected time commitment (incl. Tuesday and/or Thursday evening).
Interested applicants should send their resume to our Regional Organizer:
Mazie Johnson, email@example.com, 515.242.8611
Summer 2014 internship dates are May 27, 2014 – August 15, 2014
Deadline to apply is May 9, 2014
Fall 2014 internship dates are August 25, 2014- November 21, 2014
Deadline to apply is August 8, 2014
The #1 News Station in Central Iowa has an immediate opening. Duties include camera operation, teleprompter and occasional Adobe Premiere editing. Must be available early mornings and weekends. We are looking for an energetic team player who understands the flexible schedule that the broadcast industry dictates.
Must be able to work weekends, both Saturday and Sunday.
Must be able to work weekday early morning broadcasts.
Live TV production experience necessary
Adobe Premiere/After Effects experience a plus
Must have a good attitude, be willing to learn and be a TEAM player.
Must be able to work under pressure
Creative Services Director & Senior Director
Send resume to the attention of Nick Allard at firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Summary: Hourly, 30-40 hours / week
The Public Relations Intern will assist in all aspects of public relations.
Essential Position Responsibilities:
* Develop and distribute internal communications
* Assist in event planning and media relations
* Assist in the development of a variety of communication strategies and tactics including social media, website content, press releases and newsletters.
* Excellent writing skills appropriate for public relations
* Must be a junior or senior in fall 2014
* Majoring in Public Relations or Marketing
* Detail Oriented
* Strong Microsoft Office skills (Access, Excel and Outlook a must)
* Team oriented
* Reports to Human Resource Manager but will work closely with HR Assistant, and may work with Company Officers
* This position is not a supervisory position
Hours & Pay Scale:
* 7:00am – 3:30pm
* $12 per hour
* Casual office attire
For more information on this job or to learn how to apply please contact: email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org> or call Murphy Tower, in Carlisle, Iowa, at (515) 989-9225.